Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Angry_Truck rebuild update

Thumbs up militarypotts

nice job. you are correct when you say it's starting to look like a truck. interior shell turned out awsome. will you be keeping the 230ci tornado motor? my truck retains the original motor and it sure draws alot of attention at the local car shows and cruise nights. good luck and keep up the good work.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Very nice!

angry
    I looked at all 574 pictures repeatedly.
    They helped me figure out 1 of the rust damaged pieces I have to replace.
    Did you fab up the rear inner corner pieces or did you patch and weld some old ones.
    thanks for the help

Thanks for all the complements guys.

jpsnblood-
    I think by "rear inner corner pieces" you mean the pieces shown below? I did have fab the passenger side, using the driver's side as a guide.
    Here are some pics at the beginning of the fab stage:

I thought I had more pictures of it later in the fab stage but can't find them now. Don't forget to add the weld plate and nut for the seat belt if you plan to use the stock mounting points.

With paint:

Sorry, just realized I posted the same pic twice above. I meant to show this one also:

Dang Angry
    I think you built more of your truck than Kaiser!
    My problem is with the door frame corner.
    The corner has rust damage. The outside corner has/had a dent knocking the panel a little out of alignment. And to top it off the door frame to out side corner was not welded together quite right.
    The combination of problems makes the rocker panel really tight.
    I have a parts truck on the back 40. Going to check for damage on parts truck's corner. if not damaged thinking about cutting out a patch panel.
    If you have any ideas let me know.
    thanks

pic of panel not assmbled quit right, if i had the room lost by the gap, rocker would fit much better

OK. Sorry, wrong area. Don't worry, as you could guess, my truck was rusty in the are you are talking about too....
    However, I think my situation was a little different because my cab corners and that small portion above the rocker panel, between the door and the cab corner were also rusted. Therefore, all of that needed to be fabbed and replaced. That allowed me to make the gaps whatever I needed to match up with the rocker. Anyway, here are some pics.

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:
    (I had to fab that part of the door frame too...)

If you really think the gap is going to be a problem, I would probably make the patch panel. Not too hard to make again, a gentle curve to match up with the outer panel and a flange to weld the outer rocker too. As I remember it was difficult to get into that area to weld the flange to the rocker with plug welds but I managed to glob enough weld around to hold the 2 pieces together.

Hope this helps. If not, let me know if there is something else I can try.

Default Metal Work.

Amazing job on your truck, very nice work on the metal fabrication.
    M715 Dreamer.

Default Yep - still at it

So I am dusting this off after 11 years... I don't know how this stacks up as far as oldest build threads go but here I am again.
    Quick recap -
    Found the truck in a field in Indiana about 20 years ago. I told my wife I would need about 2 weeks to fix the brakes. I took it all apart, scattered pieces everywhere and spent a few years mostly rebuilding the cab. Then in a flurry of activity prior to kid #2 being born, had the truck blasted, painted it, and then put the pieces together enough that I could move it to my house in the burbs.
    10...years...later, kid #2 is well, 10 years old, and I am finding the need to prove to him and his older brother that I can make this thing go.

So I have been collecting bits and pieces and it is time to gather up everything I scattered, all the stuff I collected, buy some new stuff and make it happen.
    The first items to tackle are the plumbing (electrical, fuel, brake, venting).
    I have a collection of old rusty pipes that I took off and since I knew I would have the thing back together in a few weeks, I didn't really bother taking great notes/tags. (Sometimes I want to punch my former self square in the face...) I think I have figured out for the most part but I am trying to figure out some things for the fuel system.
    In this picture from the manuals:

1. Can somebody tell me what part #6 is made of? Is it plastic tubing?
    2. Does anybody know the specs of part 19? Mine is long gone. This seems to be a fuel hose with some flare fittings on each end. Hose diameter? Length?

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I will need it.

-Brian (and Angry)

I am going to shame myself by answering one of my own questions.
    Regarding the fuel line (#19). It is actually not long gone - me from 10+ years ago left it attached to the engine, not the pipes. So when I checked the engine, there it was. I am going to try and make a replacement because this one is in bad shape.
    For posterity:
    The total straight length is ~6 inches long including the fittings, diameter measures 0.44, which puts it somewhere between 7/16 and 1/2. I assume 1/2 is correct.