Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Angry_Truck rebuild update

I may have that horn bracket if you still need it.

m38inmaine - Thanks for your offer. However, I did finally dig all the way through my NOS air cleaner kit and found the bracket. I appreciate your support though.

I am finally getting to the point where all the parts that were stored in the bed of the truck are finding their rightful home on the truck (and some other small projects too).

My garage door here in the 'burbs isn't tall enough to fit the truck through with the cab top in place. I need to reduce the height by just a few inches. Thoughts of a CTIS came and went , and I decided instead to make the cab top bows fold, which will hopefully allow me to keep the cab top basically in place.
    I hacked the bows and frame tubes, reinforced the tubes with some sleeves, added tabs for hinges, then added a sliding pin. The pin slides up to allow the tubes to fold, then slides back down to lock them in place. I haven't had a chance to try it out with a top yet, since I am too lazy to dig out my old, crusty top from its hiding spot.

Other stuff:

Fire extinguisher mount to the battery box:

Door panels:

Some of the original clips were shot, I managed to find replacements:

I had to paint them OD.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/door-pan...1956/p/HW3724/

Carb rebuilt with ethanol resistance parts from Daytona Parts:

https://www.daytonaparts.com/

Default Winch rebuild

Trying to catch up with the build thread-
    This was the winch rebuild. Had some signs going in that there was trouble:
    -Sheared shear pin (steel pin, not proper brass):

-Upper and lower spreader bars bent. Someone had threaded the cable through the winch at some point:

-Safety brake area soaked in grease. Seals shot:

-Dog clutch face peaned over. I can only hope that someone needed to clean out their shorts after they did this.

-The mating side of the dog clutch on the drum:

I cleaned everything up, had to buy a new drum, clutch, brake, and seals from VPW.
    The old drum was really difficult to remove from the shaft. Since I knew the clutch portion was shot, I pounded on it with a hammer so hard it bend the sides of the drum.

I though for sure I had some pics of the final assembled winch. I haven't tried it out yet but is sure looks cool on the front of the truck.

Default Exhaust replacement

There wasn't much of an exhaust on the truck when I got it ~20 years ago. Over the years, I scrounged together all the original pieces. Some parts from AB Linn, Muffler from Mephis, Un-cracketed Exhaust Mani from somewhere, exhaust pipe from Greece. My dreams of remaking all of this in stainless got sidelined by my desire to get this thing running by the end of the summer.

The original pieces:

I had all the pieces (3 pipes, muffler and exhaust mani) Cerikoted:

I had to make the orginal style cable hangers from stainless aircraft cable:

Had to make the half-moon hanger brackets (from stainless) too, based on pics from the Zone and fitting to the actual parts:

Default New tires

There are few options for tires. I wanted to keep a roughly military look but I wanted something with better wet/snow grip than NDTs. I ended up going with STA Superlugs.
    The original Goodyear NDTs. I have no idea how old they were but the spare still had the whiskers on it.

I mangged to shove all 5 tires into a mid-size SUV to lug them to the tire shop. It is a bit of tire Tetris but they fit.

Superlugs mounted up, ready for paint:

Here they are on the truck:

Looking great!! you have some really cool stuff going on here....sweet!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

That is pretty amazing work!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Looking great!
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/