Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Angry_Truck rebuild update

Default Carb trouble and fix

As part of trying to get the truck running, I struggled with getting it to idle. I had rebuilt the carb with a kit from Daytona Carb but was having trouble keeping it idleing without a certain amount of choke. I also had to pour gas down the carb to start it. Too little choke --> died. Too much choke --> died. (Turns out I had the choke adjusted wrong - which compounded the difficulty of troubleshooting). Off idle, it would start to run better. I also noticed that it did not seem to respond at all to the idle mixture screw setting. So I figured it was a problem with the idle circuit. Took the carb apart, cleaned it several times, making sure to clean the idle passages. Put it together again an installed on the truck again but had similar problems. I was worried I had some junk trapped in the idle portion of the main metering body and was about ready to bin this carb and go to a back-up. After looking at the manual one more time (I have to say so far the only part of the manual worth a darn is the carb portion), I started tracing flow through the idle circuit. I was able to blow carb cleaner through all the cast parts no problem but something was still stopping flow. What could stop flow between the castings? The gasket. Yup - the kit from Daytona Carb for the main metering body was wrong, and did not have the hole for the idle circuit. See the pics below. I ordered another carb rebuilt kit, this time from Mikes Carburetor, and it had the hole in the right spot. Installed the rebuilt carb and it runs great (once I adjusted the timing). With the vehicle able to run a stable idle, I was able to check the timing, which had all the classic problems - it was about 30degrees advanced, and the distributor was stuck. After some penetrating oil and some gentle tapping, I was able to get it correct. Whew!

This is the idle circuit in the main metering body. The red arrow is near the hole that allows fuel from the main casting into the metering body

This is the good part from Mike's:

This is the bad part from Daytona:

The metering body with good part:

The metering body with bad part:

Nice job catching that one...thanks for documenting it for us!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Underbed storage

I wanted some secure way of storing some basic stuff on the truck (tools, tow strap, jack, etc...), so I worked up this idea to make better use of the storage area under the bed.

It is made of some square tubing, which slides within a couple of C-channels made from angle iron. The tubing/C-channel assembly shares the bolts that go through box and into the chassis frame. A simple wood box is bolted to the square tubing. I then added on some sheet metal plates to the ends of the box to help protect them. It can be pulled out from either side of the truck. The whole thing ends up taking up a lot of space but that storage area was basically useless to me without it. So far, I have managed to cram a jack, jack-stand, breaker bar, 2 tow straps, a sheet and some wood blocks, with room remaining for a basic tool set. A small pad lock is used to keep simple thieves at bay. And if I don't want the storage box, it is easy to take out the 2 bolts holding it to the frame and return the truck back to stock form.

The basic rack materials layed out: The flat plates in-between the square tube are used to mount the rack to the chassis/frame bolts.

Here you can see the cross-section of how the square tube and angle iron "C-channel" fit together. The wood box bolts to small plates that span between the square tubing.

The wood box is made of some pine boards. The box can slide from side to side and is accessable from either side of the truck. You can also see the metal reinforcing "boxes" I added to the ends to keep someone from just smashing in the wood boards to get inside.

This view shows the small padlock, which will keep the box from sliding. If somebody really wants into the storage bin, I am sure they can do it but hopefully this discourages any random attempts.

I like the outside/inside the box thinking on that!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun