Thread: windshield

Default windshield

Can't find a DOT stamp or number, is the windscreen certified by any organisation?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Probably has been replaced sometime in the life of the truck. I think my original shield had a marking in the corner, but since it was replaced a while ago, I am not certain about that now.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Since the truck uses a flat glass its easy to cut one out of a sheet of glass. Same as a made glass in a car the sheet only has the info marking in 1 corner so if your piece isnt cut to includ that corner it wont have any marking.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I had a new one cut but even the stock one had no markings, I just looked as I still have it. A new one, installed in the removed frame, cost me $90.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Mine says:

SAFETY [LOF] PLATE
    ASI YX
    LAMINATED
    MI

I tried to type it the way it is printed on the window. The LOF in the brackets is actually printed diagonally in a box made from dash marks (does that make sense?). I can try to get a picture, but I am not sure how well it would turn out.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

LOF is a glass supplier or manufacturer if I remember correctly.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by george walker View Post
    Since the truck uses a flat glass its easy to cut one out of a sheet of glass. Same as a made glass in a car the sheet only has the info marking in 1 corner so if your piece isnt cut to includ that corner it wont have any marking.
    Just wanted to make a clarification for safety. The flat glass used in any automobile has to be laminated glass. Not sheet or plate glass as that is very dangerous. Laminated glass is what even modern windshields are made out of. If you have a stone or rock hit the glass it may crack but the laminate keeps it from shattering. Where as plate glass can shatter throwing sharp chunks of glass at you.

Any good glass shop should be able to cut a new glass out of laminate glass for you.
    Zone holster maker

Yes the LOF is Libby Owens Ford if I remember right.

I know, but you can get lam. glass in a large sheet to cut from an the markings will only appear in 1 corner on the sheet.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710