Thread: gear venders overdrive unit?!

Question gear venders overdrive unit?!

Ive got a turbo 475 with a gear venders overdrive unit on it out of a motorhome. Ive got to pull it out yet and its complete with controller and harness. I was wondering if anyone has used this in their trucks. it looks like it'll handle the abuse. I have 3 trucks. 725 is staying with a mostly stock drive train.
    Truck 1 will be using an 84 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 drivetrain,350 w/4speed/married 208 transfercase and 4:11 gears with rear locker.
    Truck 2 will be running supercharged 496 bbc, 5 ton axles with 4 wheel steer.
    Which way would you do it if it was yours? I have 3 options.
    1. turbo 475 w/ gear venders overdrive with divorced 205
    2. NV4500 with divorced 205
    3. Duece tranny and transfercase
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Option 1. You could drive it to TTC and back.

I have one installed behind a dodge divorced 205, I havn't got it up and running yet. I am building my m715 for towing my 26" boat. I want to split shift for pulling passes. I installed it behind the transfer case to slow it down with the rest of the drivetrain when in high overdrive. Makes for short steep driveline (spring over) They are tough units but not much for downhill compression runs, best to switch it out for that.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd think the length would hurt you in this case unless you move the transfer case backward. With my TH400 its snug now.

The rear driveshaft would still be fairly decent length I'd think if you did move the t-case back. They are around 40" long on a stock truck if I remember right.

Sounds like a good way to pick up some road speed and less RPM.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I agree, move the T case back a little and put it in front, then you could split shift in 4WD, unlike me you won't have to worry about the 4 WD lock out switch letting it engage for some reason. Two different gear ratios when it's in OD something would have to give.

In the mud the auto and overdrive would give me 6 forwards and 2 reverse gear along with high and low range in the transfercase and no shifting in auto mode.
    With the 496 and 5 ton axles (not sure of final ratio) was what I thought could possibly be a winning combo for the TTC someday but not sure.
    I Have an 84 3/4 ton chevy truck that Im putting a 715 cab and bed over on that chassis to hopefully make it to the Nat. Fe if its done in time. Fighting this fybromyalgia is making it hard right now to even get around but I have alot of friends willing to help. I still in hopes!?
    Im not sure which combo to put in it either. I think the 208 is junked out as when I turn it while in 4x4 it pops up front. It has new lockouts and the ujoints are good in the axles with no popping until under a load. I suspect the chain is wore out but again I havent checked it out. I dont think its the spider gears or ring and pinion as it doesnt do it in a straight line under power but Ive been wrong before too. LOL!
    I want to make truck 1 my daily driver and wheel it all the time plus a secondary tow rig and truck 2 will be used for mostly hardcore offroading.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715