Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M725 rebuild

Default M725 rebuild

The story of this is kinda odd. I got this ambulance a few years ago, ended up having to sell it. I never got the title and the buyer needed it so I ended up buying it back! (whats the saying if you love somthing let it go and see if it comes back?) Anyhow, the truck never really ran all that well and we weren't sure why. When I got it back this time we started by taking the valve cover off and found that one of the rockers had been turned sideways and that a large amount of brillo (as in brillo pads) had been put in to keep it quiet (who knows if somone in the military did that or the PO). After that I decided that Id like to tear it down a little and see what can all be done to make it better. Paint has been a large thought as Id like it to go to living history events, however still be able to off road.
    WHERE IM AT NOW
    Saturday we took the fenders and rest of the grill off,

Sunday and today we started some of the body work took the valve cover off oil pan carb heater and a few other things off

Hopefully Ill get to ordering parts soon and the paint and parts will come in and we can continue, the body work is going to take a bit I think.

Any comments ideas or thoughts are welcome!!! Ill update this when we do work on it (weekends and mondays and thurs)

Thanks
    Doc

Here are some pictures of when I first got the truck:

Three chairs and a stool ,are them for workers or watchers?
    DaveJ

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEJ View Post
    I'll lay down in back and watch if you have the air conditioning on...

looks like a great place to start!

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEJ View Post
    Seemed to be a bit of both!!!!!! To be honest the friends that I have helping me with this are KEY to getting it done, both their knowledge and time/effort are a great help!!!!! Its been nice to get a group together and knock some stuff out and goof around.

good looking truck and I cant wait to see it done. Ive only seen this one and 1 other 725 with a winch on it.
    I wished that they hadnt chopped the back of mine up by taking out the back sections of the lower beds.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Nice truck to start with - winch is cool.

As per our PM chat, your bumper markings are interesting.

USASCA is US Army Space Command Agency, with Satcom1 being the vehicle designator. I don't think it follows official protocol but maybe a PO was in Satcom, and put that on there.

Keep us posted.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Unfortunately, we dont have the winch anymore, I think i found another one though so hopefully at some point we will have another on it.

The truck was done up as a radio truck by the previous owner, he said that they were in service up to the persian gulf war, and used as commo trucks. I havent been able to find any info on this at all. Finding pictures and info on them in Vietnam is hard enough.

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!!!

Thanks
    Doc

Very nice!

What was the criteria for deciding which M725's got a winch and which didn't?

I don't know. I do know the only 2 winch 725's I have ever seen had the winch added by the owner.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw