Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel spraying out of carb

Default Fuel spraying out of carb

I am having difficulty keeping my 715 running. I took carb off and cleaned it and found one line going into the carb that was plugged. I have hooked it back up and now when I try and start the truck, fuel sprays out of the carb (it looks like a fountain spraying 3-4 inches behind the carb (breather is off)

What could be causing this?

Guesses:

Fuel float in carb seems stuck open allowing it to flood?

Excessive fuel pressure from a non-stock electric fuel pump?

If the float valve is ok, the electric fuel pump is no issue. So check the float valve very carefully. We had the experiance that sometimes the float valve needle has some vibration damage (age related, not model related) and therfore is not shutting the valve propperly. Can be handled with a file (rare case) or a new shutting needle only.
    Wolf

Thanks for the help. Bear with me, as I'm trying to learn as I go. I am familiar with the float valve. I can't find a float valve "needle". I checked the manual and found the fuel inlet needle. Is that what you are referring to, or am I overlooking something more obvious. I have had the carb completely broken down and have found lines plugged with crud from the fuel line. Could a plugged line or needle cause this? After cleaning the carb, it ran for a few seconds and then started back with the fuel shooting out the carb.

Check your valve adjustment. If your valves are not adjusted properly it can cause this. Had it happen to me. When I first tried to start my truck during the restoration, the valves weren't adjusted properly. Every time I would get it started fuel would spray out of the carb. The truck would run for a few seconds and then die.

you need to define what you mean by spraying, is it a fountain like you explained, that would be the needle and seat not doing there job to shut the fuel off when the bowl is full, dirt and crap wil do that, or the float could be bad never closing the needle because it has filled with fuel and sunk. If by spraying you mean it is throwing a mist out of the carb, that could be a intake valve problem.

Duane

The fuel actually sprays out like a fountain. I have the carb off again and my father-in-law worked on it today. I am not sure what he found, but we are going to put it back on and try again in the next day or two. I will post what he did and if it works. Thanks for the help.

Spraying out like a fountain is not an intake problem. When did this all start?

right, when the fuel comes out of the carb like a water fountain its either a float or needle and seat, take it apart, check the float, and rebuild the carb, you also have to watch out, if you keep filling the intake with gas, you could hydro lock the cylinder and bend a rod trying to crank it over. pull the plugs out to crank if if you keep doing this.

Duane

Apparently the fuel intake needle o-ring was missing and the float needed to be adjusted. I am going to put it on and try it tonight.

As far as how long: When I first got the truck it had some starter issues and we got those resolved. Once I had it running, I took it for a drive around the farm, (1/2 mile tops) and it seemed to do well until I was coming up the hill behind our house and it started sputtering and died after about 100 yards (5 mph)

Thanks for the help and I will post again after it is on and running (or not)