Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New barn workshop recs

Default New barn workshop recs

After having my M715 sitting 1/2 in and 1/2 out of our attached garage for a couple of weeks, we have decided to break down and build a barn/workshop. I am going to use it for keeping tractor, RV out of the weather, and would also like to keep part of it for working on my 715, and any future car/truck projects that me and the kids get into. As my knowledge and tool collection grows, I wanted to get input from any of you about anything that I should make sure that I do or incorporate into the shop side, before we start building. I was planning on doors 12' x 12', 14' ceiling & concrete floors 4", with standard electric outlets (1 30 amp for the RV)

I may not need anything additional but I hate saying "I wish I would have thought about that before..."

Again, thanks for the input

Outlets, outlets and more outlets. My 36x36 garage is pole style and on each & every pole there are 2 outlets, one on each side. I also have more in the ceiling. And I still struggle to find an unoccupied outlet at times.
    With that, make sure you don't scrimp on your electrical box or power supply. I ran 100a out there (2-50a breakers tied in the house) and that seems to be fine. Big thick PITA cables and a couple grounds just to make sure I don't burn anything down.
    Lights - figure what you thing you will need and double that! I have 16 overhead bulbs and still have places that I want more light when I'm working on something.

Good luck!
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I always wanted a two post lift so I will make sure to have enough ceiling space to fit one and be able to lift it high enough to walk under freely. They are cheap enough now new that almost anyone can afford one. I am just tired of being on my back working on vehicles.

Any idea on reputable companies for 2 post lifts? I had thought a lift was out of the question because of cost, but it does look like they are much cheaper than I expected. Thanks for the tip on the wiring too, I probably would have underestimated the voltage coming into the barn.

You already have been given some good advice.
    I definitely would have lots of lights. I would have just a couple to see how to walk around with. You know with the swith by the entry or entries. I would also have extra overhead lights to be switched on when needed. I might would consider some lighting mounted say middle of the wall.
    The older we get the more light it takes to see.
    I wish I had sealed the concrete on my garage before I stained it with oil and such. They make all kinds of concrete sealer/paints. I bet you have to let the concrete cure some before applying.
    I have a couple of over head plugs. I like them for overhead electrical cords on retractable reels.
    Gotta have two 220s for air compressor and welders.
    How about a floor drain?
    While you are having it wired.How about including alarm system wiring.
    If I ever get to build another shop it will have a high ceiling and one tall garage door. I would also make sure to use the vertical space for storage.
    Good luck .

A separate "dirty area" for taking projects/parts vehicles apart.

You can never have too much space.

Running water.

You can never have too much space or too much light. Incorporate some windows near the roofline (no keep out prying eyes and eliminate easy access) for natural light.

Outside wood furnace (radiant floor heating if the budget allows).

You can never have too much space.

Design the electrical service so the 220 items can be installed near the box... but big compressors are loud.

Did I mention that you can never have too much space?
    1967 & 1968 M715
    The ChopTop

I agree with most everything. My pole barn has two opposite doors drive in one and out the other. Floor drains in shops/ garages are a NO-NO in most areas (no ones wants you putting oil and antifreeze in the ground). Enjoy

This is not a shop but I built this 30x24 horse barn a few years ago. Made most of the lumber from one big Douglas Fir tree.

The only thing I would do different is to rotate its position about twenty degrees. I cannot back a trailer straight into the open portion. Have to jackknife slightly to get a trailer straight in.

I would suggest allow enough approach room for a truck and trailer.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming, I'm meeting with the contractor today.

Nice horse barn Amphi, I would love to have mine all wood exterior but I can get more square footage on the metal pole barn.

I was planning on 12' door width, does anyone think I should go wider? (14' tall)

make your doors as wide as your barn allows