Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of paint have you used?

Default What kind of paint have you used?

What kind of paint have you guys and gals used?

The easy route seems to be 24087 but it does not seem like a very durable product. A friend used Imron on his M37, another friend says I should use Deltron, a PPG product. m5a1stuart is going to paint my truck next month and I'm wondering what would be the way to go. I do want the 24087 color/finish.

I would appreciate any suggestions!!
    Thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by kyken; May 17th, 2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Thanks for all the help!

I'm using Centari enamel, I used the DuPont Chroma Vision color camera to match my truck to 24052. I then added the flattener myself to get the gloss right. By the time I would have paid hazmat fees I was better off buying DuPont.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

It really depends on where the truck will be stored.

Outdoors, anything will eventually weather and fade. That process is faster depending on the climate, proximity to the sea/salt air, and whether its parked under trees, etc.

Indoors, pretty much anything will last forever if you take care of it.

I have Krylon rattle-can on my truck right now and its been mostly outside for the last 3 years. It has faded faster than a gun applied finish, but it still seems to be holding up fairly well. That said, I did sand and prime with an etching primer applied with a gun first, then sprayed the Krylon over top of that, so I suspect that is why its lasted as long as it has. It also is very easy and quick to touch up too.

Prep of the surface goes further than anything else though, as far as paint longevity.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Prep of the surface goes further than anything else though, as far as paint longevity.
    In my limited experience, prep and cleanup should take several times longer than actual spraying.

Yes, being a bodyman I can tell you the prep of the surface is the key, without it you are just throwing money in the wind. On a single stage enamel you should have more money spent on primers etc. than the top coat. And prep takes weeks if not months.

I am currently in the process of painting my m715, and have painted the winch, frame extensions, most of the interior, and am using the gilespie, i decided to follow the guide on armyjeepparts.com and have been mixing it with the synthetic enamel reducer, since I have gallons of the Martin senour thinner in different temps, it was a no brainer, I also have been adding the hardener with it, and am happy with the results. the winch has been on the truck painted in the elements for 6 months now, and look like I painted it yesterday, the stuff I spray bombed last summer doesnt look as nice, so I think wether it is the thinner, hardener, or just the gallons, I think it is holding up better than the same product in a spray can.

Duane

Hopefully, my truck will be kept in a garage in the futue. I was told the body work prep and paint will take about 2 months. I'll be having withdrawals without having it around to drive this summer. Just still unsure on which paint to use. With todays color matching equipment, shouldn't 24087 be simple to match?
    Thanks for all the help!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    . With todays color matching equipment, shouldn't 24087 be simple to match?
    The biggest problem I've run into with most paint suppliers is that they don't want to or can't seem to get the flat finish to happen.

The color isn't much problem, but the final finish is.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

SAC715, How's the Centari going on? Is it doing what you want?
    Thanks for all the help!

Sorry it has taken so long to get back we have been cleaning up after a 7" rain. I am very happy with the parts I have painted so far. With the DuPont your painter should have a can of fattener that he can add so the gloss can be adjusted. This way you can use enamel hardener to get gasoline and fade resistance but remember this adds gloss. Another thing that will change gloss is the temp that it's sprayed at. That's why even factory parts have different sheens.