Thread: Potential Project

Default Potential Project

Hi Guys, fairly new here but have been into Jeeps for long time. Thinking about buying an M715, but I do not want to mess with one that is collectible. I want one to mod gently, wheel and basically use for fun and work. Thinking about a small block chevy, stock trans and transfer, recentered H1 wheels and 37" radial H1 tires. I want it to be reliable for long trips too. I think the axels should be fine with that combo and I also wonder about the interior. Is there a popular bench seat or do most stay stock or use buckets? Has anyone sound deadened or improved the loudness of them? I also have questions about the rear window in the canvas top, can it be replaced if the rest of the top is in good shape? Also, if I do this, I will have stock parts to part with, will they have any value? The tornado 6 is notorious so I assume the stock guys would find a good one valuable to some extent but what of other parts, like crew seats etc....

Let me know, thanks

The eng isn't bad, just doesn't like the high rev's from 5:87 gears. I had a 230 in a j-20, and never had any problems, highway, or O-R. .02

Unfortunately the stock parts don't hold a lot of value. Unless you find someone who needs that particular part right at that moment of course.
    The drive train is solid, and to be honest the 230 isn't bad either. The axle gearing makes up for the lack of power and they run like a sewing machine. Quiet, starts every time, just keeps chugging along.
    Gentle wheeling and around town driving can be done just fine in the stock configuration. If you are planning on highway driving you are probably going to want to replace the transfer case with a NP205. And to be honest, with the cost of the adapter to mate a SBc to the stock transmission you aren't too far off getting a modern 5 speed - that OD 5th gear can make the stock axle gearing a lot more livable .
    On the other hand I wanted a mud truck/daily driver so I trashed the entire drive line and replaced it with a Ford 514ci, C6, Dodge NP205 and chebby D60/14b axles out of a CUCV (talk about an all American truck!).
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I've heard of a few people putting in bench seats though I have yet to see any really good pictures of them. I'm planning on looking for one with integrated shoulder belts so I don't have to come up with anything to hold the shoulder part.

Sound deadening... I'm planning on doing what JP Magazine did here:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...its/index.html

I have a couple options right now, both have the tornado still in the bay and both are still in operating condition. I would like to add EFI and could add it to this engine but to get highway gearing, would still need an OD of some sort. I've also contemplated a cummins but really do not have the time and $$$ to make that swap. Most of my wheeling is fairly mild but I do like to take a challenging obstacle from time to time.

Well it was NEVER BUILT to run the highway to start with. Enjoy it for what it is. .02