Thread: lights

Default lights

i just got some new tail lights and was wondering witch bulb is the blinker and which one is the service light.

M715 trucks came with the small 3 light buckets stock. The bottom bulb is the b/o marker light. The two side by side bulbs has one set back and a big 1156 style bulb in it. That is your blinker/stop light. It also has a little round lens on the lens cover above it.

The later used by the military 4 bulb composite big bucket lights are pretty much the same. the 1156 sized bulb that is set back is the blinker/brake light. Just a b/o stop light has been added at the bottom.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I know this is an old thread, but are 'big' bucket (composite lights) bigger them the M715 lights.

I believe they are, and you can notice the difference when they are mounted.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Do they seem out of place on the M715?

Mine are pretty rusted out inside. Was wondering if those lights that Ab Linn sells are a good fit or if I should "rebuild" mine.

I've got a set on mine, you can check them out in my album, i think they look okay and they are bright, if i remember correctly i did have ti shim them out a little bit to clear the grill shell, not much just a washer or 2.

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by maskale View Post
    Do they seem out of place on the M715?
    They look fine. And they give a MUCH brighter brake and turn light for safety.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Yes, they are bigger in every dimension. Yes, they are much brighter and very much more easily seen. Yes, the front buckets need to be moved 1-2"-3/4" out away from the valence to fit.

However, since all military vehicles produced after the M715 have the big bucket lights or in the case of the CUCV's, regular lights. Not many people out of the hobby are even going to notice the wrong lights are in there.

I ran a set on mine for a year or so. I switched back while building my Gasser M35 to period correct 1952. I became a small bucket collector and restorer is what happened. I ended up with several dozen of the darn things to make 8 or 10 good ones. I didn't have the M35A2 then, so I wanted all my trucks to have the same lights.

Then I got the Whistler and a bunch or trailers. I love the aluminum bodied big bucket lights. But, the LED plastic body lights are magnitudes brighter, take less power and last longer. I put them on both of my 101 trailers and my civilian car hauler. That way I can hook in 12 or 24 volt power and they work the same.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw