Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: late model backing plate on m715 axles

Default late model backing plate on m715 axles

Has any one put late model backing plate on m715 axles to update the brakes and still keep the drum set up and original drums?

If u keep shoes an drums what diff does a backing plate make?
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by george walker View Post
    If u keep shoes an drums what diff does a backing plate make?
    It has been done by one of the members here, but I can't remember which one.

The advantage would be that you can use off the shelf common GM brake shoes and hardware then, and not be chained to the MV only stuff, while still keeping the stock drums, wheels and axles.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

For the rear you can elongate the holes in a GM corporate with 13" brakes then you got emergency brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    It has been done by one of the members here, but I can't remember which one.

The advantage would be that you can use off the shelf common GM brake shoes and hardware then, and not be chained to the MV only stuff, while still keeping the stock drums, wheels and axles.
    Since brake cylinders are easy to find (E350) and shoes can be relined ad infinitum, what is the gain??

Full rebuild kits from Autozone.

But to be honest brakes aren't something that just go out one day like an alternator, so even if you live where you don't have access to a place that can re-line the pads you could plan ahead.

One advantage would be for those who swap in a NP205 and still want an E-brake. Again though, it is not too hard to bring the brake over from the 200 and those who swap in the 205 usually seem to follow with the axles too - meaning you'd lose the E-brake again.

Personally, if I ever get around to picking up another truck to be a stocker, I'd go with a dual master, the E-350 slave cylinders and call it good. If the 200 was one of those that howled and heated up too bad I'd swap the 205 & bring over the E-brake before I even dropped it into the truck.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I did the swap, which is currently under my parts truck. And exactly as stated by BBM above, I wanted a parking brake when I did my np205 swap without having to machine a parking band on or a hotrod brake on the drive shaft- both of those are cool but way beyond my time, patience or technical level when I got them done. Backing plates I could do. I took off one of the backing plates and walked around an axle yard. 14 bolt full floater rear matched up very close. The center hole is smaller and the mounting bolts are a little off. I brought the parts to a machine shop and had them match the center holes- I didn't but you could have them match up the mounting bolt holes as well to save time. While I haven't run them yet, others that have found them to work great. Others have honed out the middle themselves, but I was concerned about irregular contact on the hub, so I had them machined out.
    I guess the best thing to say is it is another option available.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

The axles are under a custom buggy and i have broke a spring and just thought it might be easier to replace and update to later model where parts are available if something happens on the trail later.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Since brake cylinders are easy to find (E350) and shoes can be relined ad infinitum, what is the gain??
    Relining shoes anymore is getting harder to find and more expensive. $25-30 per shoe is the cost of original shoes, and the last set of J3000 shoes I modified to fit were around $60 plus a core charge.

Those older GM rear shoes come a lot cheaper than that, and tend to always be on the shelf at nearly any auto parts store.

Like Ronner said, shoes don't generally fail immediately, but still its nice to be able to have something more readily available.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Relining shoes anymore is getting harder to find and more expensive. $25-30 per shoe is the cost of original shoes, and the last set of J3000 shoes I modified to fit were around $60 plus a core charge.

Those older GM rear shoes come a lot cheaper than that, and tend to always be on the shelf at nearly any auto parts store.

Like Ronner said, shoes don't generally fail immediately, but still its nice to be able to have something more readily available.
    I see your point, but it seems like a lot of work for a fairly modest return on investment. Most of us don´t drive our trucks frequently enough to warrant it. I bet a brake job outlasts the average ownership time in this site. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Mikel; May 10th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.