Thread: Emergency Flashers

Default Emergency Flashers

I'm grubbing in the manual section. There is a description of switches.
    It describes the Turn Signal Switch and there is a Position for Emergency flashers. Moving the turn lever up two positions, doing this should result in emerg flashes. Is it what I think it could be? All four turning lights flashing same time?
    That would be great, in germany it is mandatory that a car has emergency flashers and it wouldn't be necessary to find some cause it is already there.

Or did I misunderstood sth?
    Are there differences between early models and later ones?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Yes there is a hazard flasher position that will flash all four signals at once on the style with the solid-state signal box under the hood.

I am not sure about the earlier type with the larger flasher style, but I am sure someone will chime in shortly.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The older style turn signal does NOT have emergency flashers. The relay box is under the hood on the driver's side firewall. It looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

If you have the early style turn signal switch on the steering column with the word SPARTON on it, there is NO hazard flasher incorporated.

If you have the later style unit, which has a cannon plug on the rear that all the wires connect with, then it does have the hazard flashers that work as decribed above.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I added hazards to my old-style box rather easily... A little switch stuck behind the turn signal switch in the cab, with wire out to the box. One wire goes to the 24V (or 12V if yours was converted) feed terminal, the other goes to a pair of diodes (just cheap 1A ones), with the other end of the diodes going to the left and right hot-to-flash inputs. This way when the hazard switch is clicked, it provides power to both the left and right inputs, making both the left and right lights flash at once, but the diodes keep it from interfering with normal turn signal operation.

Here's a schematic, drawn in a fixed-width font:
    Code:
           ____    .---|>|---(C)
    (A)----o  o----o
                   `---|>|---(F)
    Hrmm, on second thought, if yours is completely stock, you probably need to power the "hot on either" terminal as well, like:

Code:
           ____    .---|>|---(C)
    (A)----o  o----o
                   o---|>|---(F)
                   |
                   `---|>|---(D)
    Total construction and installation time was about ten minutes.

If you want to do it even simpler, just put a switch between the left and right inputs, with no diodes. When the switch is on, clicking the turn signal lever to either position will make both sides flash. Less work, but I like being a perfectionist, and considered having to click the lever as well as push the switch to be not quite shiny enough.

--Randy

i just found how to operate my 4 way flashers.i don't know if all trucks are like this .behind the turn signal stalk there is a "tab"that slides out just a little to allow the stalk to travel further "past" right turn position turning on the four ways the tab acts as a lockout .if this is not clear i can post pic this weekend

For the later style turn signals, that is correct.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

If you direction indicator shwich incoroporates teh shwitch position for a hasard so the relay fits for that. Else the harness would not fit.
    Und für N2 S3: Warnblinker sind nachrüstpflichtig bis in die "Steinzeit zurück". Wenn den Blinkschalter die Warnblinkposition beinhaltet, dann paßt auch das Relais dazu, weil sonst der Kabelbaum nicht kompatibel ist (d.h. der Stecker paßt nicht (Nornalerweise).
    Wolf