Thread: manifolds

Default manifolds

Is there a civillian manifold for a 2 bbl carb that will replace the 230 tornado stock manifold ? If there is where would I find one? Would the stock air cleaner work with a 2 bbl ?

There is a 2bbl manifold. The stock air cleaner won't work without modifications.
    Look on ebay or IFSJA.org. They show up there occasionally. You also might find on on a mid-60's wagoneer/j-truck that is being parted out.

Yup, looks like this (well, once it's cleaned up):

IFSJA.org or a wrecking yard with a 63-64 wagoneer or gladiator with the 6-230 Tornado in it or I think the 62-65 J trucks. I got mine from a guy on IFSJA, they'll show up there every so often.

For the air cleaner, do you mean the stock top mount for the 1bbl? or the hang down style canister air cleaner?

I'm going to use the hang down style canister air cleaner on mine. I was going to hand form and weld a custom adapter from the 5 1/8" 2bbl carb to a clamp on style end for the hang down cleaner, but then another motor head living near me gave me a better idea. I'm going to use a carb plenum (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-98499/) (usually used for forced air induction) and fit that with a reduction collar to connect to the hang down hose.

If you're using the top mount cleaner with the 2bbl, Mr. Gasket has an adapter kit that may work with some modifications to the air cleaner itself or to the adapter kit (although I haven't looked at it in hand yet):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6411G/

--Wintermute
    Last edited by Wintermute; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:45 PM.

The 2 bbl carbs used on these manifolds have the same top as a standard 4 barrel carb...so you can use a lot of aftermarket stuff that way...

It wouldtake some work to use the stock carb mounted one...would have to cut the bottom of the aircleaner quite a bit and weld in a new neck to hook to the carb...

The large underhood on could be modded...making the piece that fits the top of the carb and hooks to the hose to the canister could be fun...the piece wintermute linked looks promising...as long as the hose isnt restrictive...I dont think it is but would check...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default thanks

Thank you for the pic. Thought I had found a manifold on ebay but it is not the right one. I was thinking maybe 2bbl carb parts were easier to find than the stock carb for these trucks. Just trying to eliminate difficulties by going 2 bbl.

I don't know that you'll eliminate difficulties...however, you will gain some power, increase gas mileage, etc... A new Holley 2300 2bbl (in 300cfm or 350cfm) is a readily available item. If you find a used one, rebuild kits for the 2300 are also readily available. The Holley 2305's are less available, but being progressive instead of synchronous carb it's more desirable. You end up doing a bit more work to get a 2bbl onto the vehicle (finding the manifold, cleaning it up, getting the carb, adapting the linkage, different air cleaner, etc...) but in the end-run, the truck will most likely run a bit better and be more drivable.

--Wintermute