Thread: np205 twin stick

Default np205 twin stick

hi guys i was wondering if anyone knows about a twin stick setup for a np205 so i can keep my two wheel drive low and also use the stock sticks. i am trying to keep the outside appearance stock
    thanks

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You can use the stock shifters with a 205. You will need to bend the linkage to fit though, and there is a modification to the shift rail so that you can use 2wd in low range.

I'd just put on a set of manual hubs on the front axle though, then you can have 2WD and low range too without any fuss.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The fire department moved my tcase shifters side by side on the M715. I don't know why since it still has the 200 in it. Anyway, they rattle, bounce around and 4 low pulls the parking brake on a few clicks. Side by side is pretty much how you are going to need your shifters if you twin stick.

I pulled the shift rails on a 205, did the mod and have it sitting on my shop floor waiting for me to find time and install it. It is a pretty easy mod to do. I have a locker in my rear axle and a 396 V8. Pulling a trailer in the rain in two wheel drive at highways speeds gets kind of scary sometimes. I wanted front wheel drive hi as an option in case I "have" to pull a trailer in those conditions or worse, ice. I have the M35A2 Whistler now, so I really don't need the twins stick. I do need the 205 for more speed and the pto.

Which is why my class is leaving the 205 we are putting in the truck for Sermis as a single lever shift. He won't use the truck to tow and if he gets stuck in some trees so bad he has to use front wheel drive with the rear tires locked to get around a corner. Well, he should have thought it through before it went in there. He wants the road speed and pto of the 205 as well.

Do whatever you want, buta twin stick 205 might be more of a trouble maker than anything else. Especially if somebody else is driving and starts pulling on levers. To make it twin stick, the lock outs are removed. That means rear hi and front low can happen.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim: have you confirmed the high/low at the same time? I thought the groove allowed the front axle to engage alone, but wouldn't allow high and low at the same time. That is what I seem to remember reading, but I never tried it when the 205 was on the floor to see if that was true or not- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I haven't push pulled on those shafts in a while. The case is hibernating under the table saw in my shop right now.

I think I remember pushing one of them all the way in and being able to pull the other out all the way though. I was very carefull grinding the one shaft down. Had to fit it like 5 or 6 times to make it just clear enough to get the twin stick function. Maybe I just read that is what happens when you grind too much. I really don't remember. I bought the thing in '06 or so and once I made some mounts, I kind of pushed it out of the way until I decide to spend money on yokes.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

If ground correctly the 205 twin-stick doesn't allow the high-low combination.

Thanks, I couldn't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    If ground correctly the 205 twin-stick doesn't allow the high-low combination.

Yes ... mine is done like that and it won't happens !! Btw ... very funny playing in snow on front wheel drive only !!!
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

my front axel has manual hubs already so i guess it wont be all that bad of a swap thanks for your help