Thread: Power Steering Box...

Default Power Steering Box...

I'm getting everything setup to do the switchover to power steering at the moment. Fabbing a mount for the pump shouldn't be a problem (have a mill, plasma, tig, stick, OA, etc...). I was looking at a Saginaw pump, Leo Porter pitman arm and a '74 J20 box.

I was looking around on ebay and saw this aftermarket J20 box and was wondering if this all looks correct and whether or not it mounts right up or if I'd have to build a custom mount for the steering box as well.

Here's the pic of the custom J20 box I was looking at:

--Wintermute

ttt

On mine I had to bend in the front cross member so the box has clearance and then drill the other bolt hole big enough for a pice of pipe to fit through bolt the pipe to the box and weld the pipe to the frame on both sides.

If it fits a J20 it will fit the M715. However as kysar725 alluded to, there are only three mount holes in the stock M715 setup... but it is fairly easy to add a fourth if you have some tube, a drill, and a welder. Just don't weld the tube into place unti after you get the bolt tight. (IE bolt it up using the three existing bolts, then slide your tube into place, bolt the tube to the steering box, then weld the tube in place in the frame).

And remember Wintermute, you have the opportunity to show this conversion step-by-step for the rest of us knuckle heads. Its sticky worthy material ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch8 View Post
    And remember Wintermute, you have the opportunity to show this conversion step-by-step for the rest of us knuckle heads. Its sticky worthy material ya know.
    alrighty When I get the steering box in and finish rebuilding the pump, I'll do a step by step of fabricating the mounts for the pump and installing the box including any additional fabrication such as the alterations to the steering shaft. I'll even give the specs on what materials and welding settings/rod/etc... that I use

--Wintermute