Thread: Shackle Flip Q

Default Shackle Flip Q

OK...thinking about a shackle flip.

Is it such a big deal to not cut and weld the spring hanger on the rear axle?? Seems that for all the work, it would only move the mount point about 1"...which translates to only 1/2" lift. Would it be that bad to leave it? Or...I think I could fab a set of 1" longer shackles faster and easier than doing the frame bracket flip.

Just thinking out loud. Why/why not?
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

im not to sure what your asking but i did a shackle flip on the rear of mine and all i did was rotate the shackle down and bolt it back up.... heres a pic if it helps any the tires are 38's and it gave me about 5" of lift...

Last edited by das beef; April 9th, 2010 at 08:43 AM.

also you will need a longer brake line for the rear... i busted mine and found out i had no brakes the hard way lol

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd do the flip of the front bracket too. Just doing the rear will work, but won't garner quite as much lift. Plus, I personally am not a fan of really long spring shackles. Just another strees point to break later on the trail somewhere. I think that puts undue stress on the frame mounts that way.

The worst part of flipping the front pivot, is removing the fuel tank to grind off the weld where the pin comes through to the inner plate. Other than that, it's worth the effort.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Good part right now, I got no fuel tank, unless I go back to gas. That'll save a step. Still just not sure how important that 1/2" will be...

I gotta decide, I want to put my power steering in this spring...don't want to mess with pitman arm, etc but once.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I went through the hassle on Sermis' truck to do the front pivot because of U-Joint angle. Yes, in theory moving the rear spring mount down should face the u-joint up toward the t-case more. However, wanting the axle pinion and the tcase yoke parallel is the goal. So, we flipped the front mount as well.

While you are down there cutting. Move the round cross member forward so your Michelin's will fit up there as a spare.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

uhg doing the front shackle flip right now...what a pain in the butt!!!!!!!but yeah it will correct the pinion angle which is important.....

das beef

When you painted your truck, how did you apply the tiger stripes? Free hand or did you mask them off.

Sorry for the hijack.

Zach

free hand... over the years i have become pretty good and free hand spray painting lol