Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting M715

Default Transporting M715

I am happy to say that I am going to be picking up my first M715 this weekend. The truck is in good condition but appparently has some starter issues. Anyway, I was going to pick up a U-Haul car carrier/trailer to transport it home (5-6 hour drive) Good idea or bad idea? I appreciate any input.

Thanks

Bad idea--

Better make sure its wide enough

I dont think it will fit on a uhaul carrier, and I dont know if it will be rated for the weight. you better check out all dimensions and capacity before you rent it.

Duane

Thanks for your quick responses. I will get the dimensions & weight rating. Someone had recommended one of those triangular "tow bars" to pull the M715. Any thoughts?

If you flat tow an M715, there are 3 key things to consider...

Always have a front bumper in place if you are hooking to the front tow shackles. The front frame horns, without the bumper in place, will twist...this is the front of the frame twisting.

If it has the stock steering box and you want to keep it in working condition, you must take the steering apart somewhere. The box wear out quickly when inputs come from the tire to the box instead of from the steering wheel to the box. Taking the steering apart on the passenger side where the rod from the steering box hooks up over there is the best place I think. That bar can be tied or chained up to the frame out of the way and still the tie rod bar keeps the 2 front tires in synch..

It would be advised to loosen the brake shoes as much as possible or even remove them altogether. The brake shoes have engaged the drum for several people who have flat towed their trucks. Most caught this before severe damage occurred fortunately. I wasnt so lucky and my front brakes drug my tow vehicle to a stop, caused a fire, wrecked the entire front axle and ruined the trip we were on.

Bottom line, these trucks do not appear to have been made with flat towing in mind for more than short distances, to get from a broken down or stuck place to a wrecker...wheels up towing on these trucks is the only manual recommended way to move them.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I don't think a u-haul trailer would be big enough. I wouldn't want to flat tow it for a 5-6 hour trip either. If you have an equipment rental place near you that rents stuff like small tractors, cement mixers, etc they usually have trailers that can haul a 715. Look in the phone book under rentals. Just make sure your truck is big enough to haul the trailer and 715 which means it is rated to tow about 8k. Good luck

The trucks is about 80 inches wide at the rear tires, if you measure at the center of the axle, 85 inches overall width.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

U-haul trailer are usually too short and too light duty.

You need at minimum a 16-18' 7000# tandem axle trailer with a 83" inside width. If you have side rails on the trailer it is easier to load if you remove the hub tie-downs as they can rub on the rails. The 18' trailer or longer is better. The m715 will hang over the back of a 16' trailer.

Make sure the trailer has either surge or electric brakes. The M715 is 6000 lbs. I use a 3/4ton truck.

You need 4 tie-down straps or chains/binders to tie it down. I usually tie mine down with axle straps or use chains/binders that loop over the front frame and around the rear frame at the cross member above the rear axle.

Also, make sure your trailer tires are inflated to the max pressure. It sucks to have a blow-out towing your new truck home.

I agree with Kwai. I got my trailer from a local rental place and it was worth it. Can you trust the tires on the truck, and who knows if the axles are properly lubed up? 5-6 hours away would be a drag to break down. But lots of people have flat towed without any problems as well. I think the trailer is the way to go if possible- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

If it only has starter problems, pop-start it and drive back. That's how ours got here.

--Randy