Thread: Camaro engine??

Default Camaro engine??

I have the opportunity to get a 330 hp chevy 350 out of a camaro for $12-1500. Do ya'll think I'm gonna have to put a new cam to get it worth a dang in the m715? or, is that something i can do down the road?
    B Co 1/504 PIR 82nd ABN

Depends on what the torque profile is. A nice flat one and you are good to go, peaky and you'd be better off with a different cam for a truck. The stock 230 only make something like 75hp but holds around 200ftlbs quite a while. Still massively underpowered but that is a good truck motor. Like a diesel, torque - especially at lower RPM's - is great for a truck that will be doing real work, even if that work is trying to climb over rocks
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

For that money, you might check into those GM crate motors. I think their base-line 350 generates 330HP and a good amount of torque. Unless I'm way off base, these motors are new at about $1500.

Oops, a quick Google search shows that I was off by about half the value. Nevermind, as I must have been thinking in late-90's prices.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/350-...041-P18C2.aspx
    Last edited by MarknessMonster; March 25th, 2010 at 10:34 AM.

ya the link you provided turns out to be the unit i'm looking at. I think i'm going to go for it. ive been checking out justchevytrucks.com but they are all the way up in maine so shipping would probably kill me. they sell trannies and t-cases also FYI
    B Co 1/504 PIR 82nd ABN

With the stock gearing, the camaro motor might be okay, since the camaro motor is cammed to produce its power at higher rpm, which is where you will be with stock gearing. Just make sure you have a good clutch. Where I am I do a lot of rocks, (I am right near the Rubicon) so that cam would drive me crazy, but for sand, mud, etc. it would probably work great, ..FWIW.

I have a 351 Cleveland engine from a Mustang in mine that is mostly a higher RPM motor. It moves the truck fine, but I wish I could make more torque down low. I had picked this motor since I thought that the truck would be at high RPMs on the road, so why not have a high reving motor. I built my own motor and it puts out 507 HP at 5500 rpm and 495 FT lbs at 4500. I would like to replace my engine someday with a 428 Cobra Jet I have in the garage. I figured out I could get 637 ft lbs of torque at 2000 RPMs, and 435 HP at 3500.

If you want to see what you can do with a motor, An excellent program to play around with is Cam Quest. It is a virtual engine building program that is free from Comp Cams. You can basically pick any engine, then modify it with different intakes, carbs, piston diameters, cams, etc.. It is designed to tell you what cam to run in your engine.

awesome info, thanks. im still in negotiations with the guy
    B Co 1/504 PIR 82nd ABN