Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transfer case swap

Default Transfer case swap

Hi guys I was just wondering about some of your opinions on swaping the np200 for a np205. I have heard that the 205 is the way to go if you are looking to drive it every day but my truck is mor for going to the dump, hardware store, hauling fire wood, and many some trails now and then.
    The only reason I'm asking is because I have also heard that the np200 is the stronger of the two and i didn't want to replace it if it was the way to go.
    I guess what I'm asking is for the pros and cons of bolth
    thanks again guys

The only real downsides to the 200 are the lack of easy parts (which you'll almost ever need) and the overheating problem - oh, it howls like a banshee at speed too
    If you aren't going to do too any highway driving then just leave the 200 in there. It is just as strong as the 205 (maybe stronger) but it just isn't as civilized for a daily driver. I had one in my stock truck for years and never had any of the problems other guys have talked about, but I only used it to putter about - very limited hwy jaunts.
    That being said I did replace it with a 205 when I re-powered my truck to be more of a daily driver.

Bottom line, for what you seem to want to do the stock drive-line will do the job just fine
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I dont think there is much, if any, strength difference.

In the beginning, the NP200 was the New Process gear t-case...back when flatheads ruled and rpm limits were in the 2900 rpm or less range. In this application, the NP200 works well...though it does have gear whine starting around 30-35 mph and higher if the driveshaft to the rear axle is on the passenger side rear output. If the driveshaft to the rear is on the drivers side output of the tcase, no whine at all. This does nothing to reduce the heat issue.

As the time went by, rpm potential rose and the NP200 showed its achilles heel...it doesnt work well at higher rpm's...it makes a ton of heat.

New Process came up with 2 solutions...the NP202, a heavy duty case for trucks rated above 1 ton and the NP205, for 1 tons and down. These are the upgraded NP200 for modern applications without the heat and gear whine issues.

I remember seeing a chart that listed the input rating for several different tcases...the NP205 can handle 12,500 ft./lbs. of torque input...top dog on that list. Remember, if you multiply your engine torque times your lowest trans gear ratio (highest numerically), you will then get your input torque to the tcase...example:

500 ft/lbs torque from the motor with a stock trans, 6.398 first gear= 3199 ft/lbs of torque to the tcase...not even close to the limit.

If you have other gear boxes in front of the tcase, then multiply the low gear of each together, then multiply by the engines peak torque.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks for the info it seems the np205 swap will be the way I'm going to go. Most our roads here in Maine are 50 mph and I wouldn't mind being able to hop on the highway wit it for the occssional trip home to the flat lands or over the other side of the mountains to VT
    thanks again guys

You are welcome...this is why we are here!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

It is my opinion that the difficult aspect of this swap is "re-creating" an emergency brake, if the truck retains the stock axles. I don't have first hand knowledge of the modifications involved, but the NP205 will need to incorporate some of the parts off the NP200, and they have to be machined to modify their fit to the NP205. I haven't done this yet, but I've seen others whom have posted the information on this site. Personally, I think an e-brake is an important safety device, and it is therefore worth noting this information in this thread.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You can get around the parking brake issue pretty easily. There are a number of ways and none are the perfect solution, but they all get the same end result.

Were it me, I'd go with the 205 swap. You'll need to fab up some bracketry to mount a 205, and decide which way to go: twin stick or single, but ultimately, if you plan on doing more than an occasional few miles above 50 MPH, then the 205 is the way to go. I have one sitting in the floor of the shop now, that is going in mine as soon as I find the time to do it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    You can get around the parking brake issue pretty easily. There are a number of ways and none are the perfect solution, but they all get the same end result.
    Please elaborate, for the OP and me. Well, I shouldn't speak for the OP, but I'm perplexed about it, and would like a simple remedy other than an electric brake.
    Last edited by MarknessMonster; March 24th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Well there are a couple ways:

Switching the entire nearing housing as you mentioned (which doesn't require much machining)

Or (the way I will do it) by utilizing a disc assembly intended for street rod applications.

I guess it really boils down to your definition of "easily". In the scope of M715/725 ownership, pretty much anything you do, need to do, or plan to do requires some measure of objectivity when saying its easy.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Hey Jon, do we still have the write up that Tom did for his e-brake? That was a slick deal with pretty cheap parts if I remember right. Manual disk brake off something small I think.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है