Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 715 cuts out over 30mph

Default My new 715 cuts out over 30mph

Good Evening guys. I just joined your ranks the other night on a referal from a similar site. I've got several M35's and M1008's but just picked up my first M715.

Running out of options need some expert advise. Picked up my new M715 on Sat. About 5 miles into the drive home it started running rough. A minute or so later it would practicaly cut out completely and sputter. Push in the clutch and let it idle and it would come out of it. Get back into it and it would happen again.

It idles great and at slow speed and low RPM it runs great.

You can shift through the gears and wind it up with no issues. Once up to 35 or so and on the gas it cuts out again. Some popping and backfired once.

Smells like it is running really rich.
    Choke does not appear to be stuck.
    Installed a clear fuel filter and it is still clean.
    Fuel drained with new fuel in tank
    Elec. fuel pump installed in addition to mechanical. (bought it this way)
    Carb bowl pulled and very very little dirt particales removed

Engine is the original Tornado but the carb looks newer and is a Holley single barrel. Not sure what they came with.

Is the dist. and rotor an issue on this engine. I don't know much about the setup but right now I'm leaing towards it being the issue.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thank You
    Jason

Have you checked the governer? Some had an additional fitting between the carb and the manifold that has a vaccuum operated governer in it. It looks like another choke but way too low. I'd try blocking that open and see if that solved the problem.

And welcome!
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Thanks, I'll look it over and see.

One possibility that has come up that you should look at...it happened to a member exactly like you describe...

In the ignitor housing, the points on his had been installed with the long "leaf spring" on the wrong side of it attach point....here is a little screw that this tension spring attaches to and if it is on the outside, away from the distributor shaft, it puts less tension on the points. He moved his to the inside and mounted it and it cured the problem.

Worth a look...you can see the proper placement in this image:

The tenson spring is running from th ponts to the screw mount between the arrow lines for #3 and #4...the screw is directly beneath the #4 line.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The pickup sock in the tank is probably stopped up partially.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Sounds like you are taking on air in your fuel line either at the rubber hose on the fuel tank or the cross over hose between the motor and frame.

Awesome guys thanks for the options. I will start at the top and work my way down as soon as I can get to the truck. The points and advance topic was brought up twice on the other site as well. Evedently that is an issue to watch for.

Thank you all.

The pickup sock in the tank is probably stopped up partially.
    I'm going with this as Public Enemy #1. BTW, anyone have a good way of correcting this?. The reverse pressurized air method helps, but eventually it gets clogged up again. I tried dropping the tank, but even then I could get no access to the pick-up or sock.

As far as I know there is no pick-up sock.
    In mine the pick-up line is to the right of the drain plug.
    Without a sock.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Go look on your other truck Will. The stock tank has a metal tube soldered in to the top of the tank that goes down to a different section of the tank than the fuel gauge sendor and it has a sock on the bottom of it. Without cutting a hole, no real way to get to the sock. Just blast it off and use more than one filter in the line.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw