Thread: Flywheel removal question

Default Flywheel removal question

What is the best way to get the flywheel out of the bellhousing so I can get it surfaced? What looked to be a easy clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing change turned into a wt*, you have to be kidding moment.

you need to take the shifters, ebrakehandle assy, and trans floor pan out, then the pony shaft between the transfer cas and trans, I took the trans out but left the transfer case in, but it my be easier to take both out. I had to take my oip pan off because I had a broken flywheel bolt, but dont think you need to do that step, the flywheel will come out the bottom with outtaking the bellhousing off, but if I remember it was a little tight. get a new ring gear if it is chewed up, and change the seals in back of the trans and and front of transfer case before you put it back togther, its notr really that bad. download the pages in the online maunual so you can refer to them for guidance.

Duane

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier but the whole body is off and the transmission is out on the engine stand

I just couldn't get the flywheel off the studs and didn't want to start beating on things until I found out for sure. So, why in the **** didn't they make the bellhousing just a little bigger???

that makes it much easier, I think I was able to cock the flywheel and get it out of the bellhousing. man, thats a 20 minute job with the body and trans off and out.

Duane