Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil line

Default Oil line

A while back there was a discussion of the oil line on the back of the stock motor. I can't find it in the archives. What was the consensus of the best way to replace it ? Was a solid line or a flexible line the answer? What are you guys with a stock motor using? One other thing what is the part number of the oil filter?

Thanks
    DaveJ

Since the line doesn't move or flex I replaced it with a solid line. I used the green stuff from NAPA and it was very easy to bend.

Oil filters: Napa Gold p/n fil 1515, Wix 51515, Fram PH-8A etc. Used on many Fords/Mercurys.

You can use metal line as the civvy motor did...I have a flex line in stainless steel I will send you cheap if you want it...

The best way to get the line out and in while the motor is in the truck is to:
    Take off the sending unit end of the hose.
    Put something on top of the valve cover to make it tolerable to lay on for a while.
    Get something you can stand on while laying over the valve cover...comfort is important here...you need your eyes to be able to see just behind the head and you need to be comfortable enough to be in this position and think well for a while...
    Grab the sending unit end of the hose from the lower passenger side and lift it up so that it is straight up in the engine compartment with the unhooked end to the sky.
    (Basically, you are using the hose as a handle or wrench to remove the right angle fitting from the back of the head.)
    Keep moving the hose in the clockwise direction as viewed from the front until the fitting comes loose.

So...to put it in, put some thread tape on the right angle fitting for the head, put the new hose on that right angle elbow.
    Laying on top of the motor, hold the elbow to the hole in the back of the head...it can be done...just so it is touching it...have the new hose sticking out low on the drivers side.
    While holding theelbow in the hole, with the left hand as far to the passenger side as possible, lift the hose with the right hand, thus turning the elbow and, hopefully, starting the threads. you may have to do this several times to get it right...I have done it for 2 hoses...its not too hard with patience.
    Once it starts to thread, keep rotating it around til its tight and take the hose down to the sending unit tee and connect.

NOTE: I have only done this with flexible hoses...I am not sure that a solid line could make the circle required without bending...maybe someone who has the solid line conversion can say...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks for the replies. My motor was out of the truck when I bought it. So I think I'll go with a solid line. Finally getting to start putting it together. Too many projects not enought time. Have to wait for a little warmer weather to paint the remaining parts on my M38 . Last year ,had to get the M37 ready for my sons wedding, his bride wanted to use it for the ride from the church to the reception. Now that's a good daughter in law, she really wanted the M715 in her wedding ,but that needed a bit too much work . She has claimed the M 715 as hers when I get too old to putter with them any more. And she'll probably get it. Now all I need is to get her to help put the motor in.
    DaveJ

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEJ View Post
    his bride wanted to use it for the ride from the church to the reception. Now that's a good daughter in law, she really wanted the M715 in her wedding ,but that needed a bit too much work .
    She's a keeper!!

Without going to the shop to look, what size and how long of a piece should I buy to make a solid line?

I hate to be vague but either 1/4 or 5/16 and IIRC 12" long. I know that I was able to make the "S" shape without kinking it. I do remember needing one adapter to the block elbow fitting.

Does she have a single sister with the same attitude? LOL!
    Thanks for all the help!

She has 2 sisters, and they have" attitude"! She is the exception,my son got the good one.
    DaveJ