Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heater control cables and switch question

Default heater control cables and switch question

I am getting ready to install my heater that I got from a FSJ, will need the control cables, can anyone tell me if the stock cables were labeled? (defrost, heat etc?) or were they just plain cables, and does anyone have a source for them?

Thanks

Duane

also was there just a one speed toggle for the fan or was there speeds?

Fan is on or off...

The cables are marked:

Heat
    Defrost
    Fresh Air Control

The knobs are, basically, OD Green.

The cables are standard choke tye universal cables EXCEPT for the knobs being green and labeled and the ends of them are bent around in a circle or 2 instead of being just a straight end of inner cable sticking out of the outer sheath.

If you want a pic or lengths, let me know.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Are you askinga bout stock civilian parts?

If so, there are no cables (except the blend cable that opens the main door to the heator core housing). The defrost, off and air(heat) settings are controlled by vacuum.

The civilian heater fan has three speeds.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

Being this is the stock tech board, it would be stock to the M715...if posted in the correct forum...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Can a vacuum newer heater be adapted to the use of control cables?
    Thanks for all the help!

Most likely the civ. vac controlled ones just had a vac. daspot added that connected to the same post the cables did(?), you would need a way to attach and secure the cable there in place of the daspot. The early civ. vehs. did use a control panel which just bolted to the bottom of the dash you could use that and run a vac line off your wipers and have the system oper. w/ vac I would think, but I hadnt ried that.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

The pices to connect the cables to are there...basically lik George Walker said above...people have converted the underdash unit to cable...the underhood box is always cable operated.

If I remember right, the tower that the canle sheath is held on to is there...but the little plat that goes over the cable sheath to actually hold it in place isnt and the hole may not be in the tower for the screw to go in...so...

Get a cable, run it to the post that the cable end goes on to operate that door...line the cable up nice on the tower...make a little plate with a bend to clamp the cable down...put the little plate on the cable and drill through both the plate and tower...might be able to thread the tower hole so it might need to be smaller OR weld a nut on the rear of the tower...my choice...and good to go.

You could take a piece of 3/8ths steel and cut a round groove in it to clamp the cable sheath...otherwise a piece of 1/8ths inch bent in a V on the endwith a flat tai on one side will work fine.

The civilian heaters with vacume controls can be adapted to use cables for the stock military function and look. It just takes a little fab work and some cable securing clips, can get them from most lawn mower repair shops. As for the cables I used stock military ones for heat and defrost and they are labelled in white on green correct knobs. I however could not find the fresh air cable. I have a website saved that you can order your cables from and they work very smooth. Much better than 40 year old cables. Google Rays auto air and heat. He makes most every cable needed, they work great and are reasonable in price. I just ordered the fresh air cable from him in the length I needed. I have all stock cables except fresh air. The well oiled nos stock cables still don't work all that well. Good luck.

I have NOS ones hat work perfectly...not sure why mine didnt get bad...

I think I will get pics and lengths just for reference...something we dont have online.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Being this is the stock tech board, it would be stock to the M715...if posted in the correct forum...
    Just wanted to make sure, as he said he is using a civilian heater. That could mean he has the entire set up.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10