Thread: oil pump gear

Default oil pump gear

So when I first got the truck . The steel oil pump drive gear and oil pump had no teeth . skip time. So installed new steel drive gear and oil pump. now after 300 miles the same problem. May be my timing cover is worped or out of alignment. I will be taking apart spare motor to inspect parts supply. Will a civy 230 timing cover gasket work? maybe gear aligment is off? just put my detroit no spin locker in today and this happens. long ride home adjusting timing then moving wires on cap every time it jumped time. made it 15 miles and skip at least 6 teeth total. Then strap towed the other 15 miles. I guess I need AAA. Any body have a used bronze OE gear. This motor has been apart before maybe dowl pin alignment off?? Any input is helpful .Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glockrock View Post
    So when I first got the truck . The steel oil pump drive gear and oil pump had no teeth . skip time. So installed new steel drive gear and oil pump. now after 300 miles the same problem. May be my timing cover is worped or out of alignment. I will be taking apart spare motor to inspect parts supply. Will a civy 230 timing cover gasket work? maybe gear aligment is off? just put my detroit no spin locker in today and this happens. long ride home adjusting timing then moving wires on cap every time it jumped time. made it 15 miles and skip at least 6 teeth total. Then strap towed the other 15 miles. I guess I need AAA. Any body have a used bronze OE gear. This motor has been apart before maybe dowl pin alignment off?? Any input is helpful .Thanks
    Hey Todd,
    A friend of mine has a borescope. I may be able to borrow it so you can look inside the distributor shaft hole.
    Mikel
    Last edited by Mikel; February 27th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

you have to look from oil pump side to see anything .And yes I have a video color bore scope

The Civ timing cover and gasket are very different from the Military version. Not interchangeable.

You might try AB Linn or Memphis Equip for the gasket.

One source of the gasket on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...Q5fAccessories

Default running with used parts

installed use oil pump ,use brozne gear and used front crank seal. set timing . I measured every thing . the new metal gear .004 differance to bronze. I find oil pump gasket thicker on one pump (thin gasket would make oil pump sit deeper in gear. may this match set old pump and brozne gear will wear better. I'm going to clean up other timing cover and collect parts for the next time I guess. this is the same problem the FD had with truck. maybe its the cover or dowl pins. detrot no spin work great

Maybe you can monitor gear wear by checking ignition timing. I'm assuming the wear in the teeth will retard the timing as it develops... Good luck.

By the way, we have to do a CT or New England get together this spring!