Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long hauling for a good deal

Default Long hauling for a good deal

So what's the furthest you've traveled for a part or whole truck? I've been eyeing some CUCV's on GL and have been thinking about trying to snag one if I can score it within the "budget" (lol..budget...). The ones I'm looking at are running, but a couple states away and I'd prolly have to fly in and drive it back. Any problems with making a long haul that might not be so obvious as the truck breaking down?

Thanks,
    David

Depending on the location, some will have ALL the fluids drained, or have been lifted with a forklift and bent the driveshaft (dumb%#^@es), or parts have been cannibalized to get others to run. Sometimes the best thing to do is put your eyes on it to see its condition. Although I have seen some good ones there also. Couple of years ago I bought 2 and made 1 running one as one had the parts the other was missing I trailered both home and put one together and after 1 1/2 months I had a running and inspected M1009 and drove it for 4 years.

3300 mile round trip with Kwai. Twice! Sermis joined Kwai and I on a 2400 mile round trip recovery once. Kwai also took me along for a 1400 mile recovery trip. My Whistler was only a 800 mile round trip, so it really doesn't count as "long" distance. "Just a few states away" means it will be a fun pleasure drive.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I'm in Houston. Recovered trucks, trailers and/or parts from Los Angeles, St. George, Ut., Paxinos, Pa, Columbus, Oh, Little Rock, El Paso, Dallas, Tulsa, Baton Rouge, Camp Lejeune, NC., and my closest was Pasadena, Tx (7 miles).

I love a good road trip.

WOW! I can see that the my fellow Texans have set a pretty high bar! I guess I might have to get something out of state just to retain my man card

moose3d - I never even would have thought of something like that. I think I'll definately have to ask a few extra questions before purchasing or see if I can find someone local to take a look at it.

Thanks,
    David

I just drove from Portland to Granada Hills, Ca to buy 8 new 11.00x16 Michelin XL's (947 miles each way to be exact). A friend of mine offered to go along and use his truck so I didn't have to do 55 the whole way pulling a trailer or even slower in the 715 so we drove straight down, picked up the tires, then spent the night at his brothers house nearby (saving me hotel cost) then clear back the next day. That's a good friend! Hope I can repay the favor soon.

I'm thinking about bidding on M101 3/4 ton trailers at Ft. Campbell, KY. Anyone interested in picking them up as there are two, and keeping one as payment? Ft. Campbell is on the KY-TN border with delivery to Louisville, KY. I get the one with the top. Oh, the bid is up today at 5PM. Thanks
    Last edited by kyken; February 25th, 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Thanks for all the help!

I drove to Fort Drum NY from NJ to get my 45 GPW, it was 6 hours each way, and drove from NJ to NC to get an old Stock car. So I have traveled pretty far.

Feel like a lightweight...only 1825 miles for a frame and axles...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Fort Smith, Arkansas to Tooele, Utah for a bed and frame. Later I found two beds 40 miles away for less than the one I drove to Utah for. Ugggh.