Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIN Check

Default VIN Check

Hello Guys,

If you have a VIN of a 67 or 68 Truck, how to check it with an online-checker? They want to have a VIN with 17 digits. All cars 1981 or later would have a 17-digit one, but the old trucks don't.
    Is there an alternative check?

Thx for all recommendations!

It will have a 6 digit serial number on the data plate and the frame.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

It is not possible to have a 7 digit vin from the factory on something this old.

Sometimes the state issues a 17 character vin to the vehicle when they rgister it, some states dont...but that would be something they would give you.

As Barrman said, 6 digits from the factory...lowest possible is 10001...highest known is less than 37000. We have a list of known VINs with the month of delivery from the dash data plate here:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=vin_registry
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Yes, I know the VIN registry.
    I located a truck and the owner send me a scan of the title. If to check the vin online, than you are forced to submit a 17-digit-number, but the truck doesn't have one with 17 digits, it is a 5 digit, first are 22. So it is one of 68, i assume.

Problem: how to check the history of the truck, if possible?
    Is there another easy way to get informations about one of these vehicles? I'm far away from the car, other side of the Pond.
    Last edited by N2S3; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

There is little hope u could check the prior registy of the truck, if you are referring to its military assignments. You could try lightly sanding through the paint layers on the front or rear bumpers to find old unit markings. The army doesnt allow searching their records for that info.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Do you mean that you're trying to do a vehicle history check like Carfax? You probably won't be able to it without calling and explaining the situation to someone from the company. I doubt you would find much information by doing a check, aside from when (if) the title passed from one person to another. A better way to check the truck would be to find someone in the general vicinity who'd be willing to lay eyes on it for you. I'm sure if someone on here is close to it, they'd check it out and report back. Where is the truck located?
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Yes, the check would help me to decide whether to buy the truck or not. Carfax or something similar don't accept an old VIN.
    Truck is located in northern Maryland. It would be nice if someone in the vicinity could check it. If in mechanic good shape then I would buy it, if the price correlates with the condition.
    Well, a guy of the community would be a great assistance and highly appreciated.

Buy it, rebuilt it, and drive it.
    Nuff said.
    Don't worry about a VIN number. There ain't that many of them
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Don't believe carfax. I bought a car about 2 years old. Owner told it had been hit in rear and over 2 thousand damage. I couldn't tell by looking or driving, so I bought it. I kept it about 1 1/2 year and wanted to sell. A guy came and looked and said let me think about it. He called me back next day and said he checked carfax and no damage and he would buy it. I told him that previous owner told me it had been damaged. He after him hawing said well I'll still take it and never use carfax or such again.

How does carfax collect their info. and why wasn't this in their record?

Carfax works off of insurance claims.
    Wreck it and pay cash to get it fixed and carfax don't know.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?