Thread: will a 3 lever headlight switch work with 12v

Default will a 3 lever headlight switch work with 12v

in my transformation back from fire truck to close to stock, i would like to reinstasll a 3 lever headlight switvh in place of the pull jeadlight switch my dept put in when they built it. will it work with 12v only thing I was thinkiing may not work is the panel light dimmer, but wasnt sure, has anyone converted to 12v and left the stock switch in?

Thankis

Duane

sorry about the spelling, i cant see without my reading glasses and the black key board makes it hard to see in low light

Duane

Yes, the 3 lever light switch works fine on 12 volts.

The only problems for an M715 to go 12 volts, besides the bulbs and ignition, are the gauges and sending units, heater blower motor, if equipped, and the turn signals IF the early style distribution box is on the truck. This is a large rectangular box mounted next to the master cylinder with 2 vertical rows of screws with wires attached to them...like 10-12 wires on 10 screws or so. There is a page on converting this style to 12 volts and also a page on swapping to the later style as well in the Online Mainrtenance Manuals link at the top of the page.

If it has the smaller rectangular box with a 3 wire cannon plug screwed to the bottom, then it is the later style solid state unit and will work fine on 12 volts.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

actually, it was converted in the 80's when it was converted to a brush truck by my dept, I am putting the correct lights on it with 12v bulbs, the blackout lights, etc, and would like to put the 3 lever swtich back in it. just didnt want to go buy a switch and find out it wont work on 12v for some reason. now I will hunt for a switch.

Thanks

Duane

The dash light dimmer might or might not work on low with 12V. My 12V M715 with Auto Meter gauges does not light up on low. However, the gauges we have installed in the 12V truck for Pistolnut do work on low. I don't know why. Expect either, but don't worry if low doesn't work. You can't see anything on low with 24v anyway.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

when you buy the 3 lever light switch, you also need the plug that screws into the back side. Assuming the wiring harness is hacked up and it is missing
    Feast or famine,

Quote Originally Posted by chimesickle View Post
    when you buy the 3 lever light switch, you also need the plug that screws into the back side. Assuming the wiring harness is hacked up and it is missing
    They are available.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I have a spare harness, The Dept got 2 trucks and took one apart for parts, I may just keep the harness complete and buy the headlight plug with the wires.