Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 dilema!

I have a dilemma, and need help from more knowledgeable M715'ers. I looked at an M715 that I could buy. It is really rust-free, except for the front panel that holds the headlights etc. That panel also has been cut out in the middle bottom to mount a fire pump (pump now removed). The cab floor, sills, rockers, all rust free. There is a hole cut in the cab floor behind the driver seat for a hose to a fire pump system (4" hole through the rear floor brace that is double walled). The bed is totally rust free, but has a few holes in the side for hoses, and one in the bed floor. There are some square tube sections welded into each corner of the bed that held racks or something (, those firemen can throw a good solid bead). Tailgate is fine. The truck starts and runs well, although seems slower than it should. I couldn't get it over 40mph, then had some backfiring and stalling while rolling. No smoke, engine sounds good. Drives in all gears, stops ok. One rear wheel has wetness...maybe oil, maybe brake fluid. One tie rod end is really sloppy, other one a little loose. When I push/pull hard on top of front wheels, there seems to be a little in/out play with a mild clunk...but not super sloppy. This truck is very solid...but has those cosmetic and mechanical issues. The seller is asking $3,500 firm. Is this truck worth it, and if it isn't something that suits my needs, would I be able to get my money back on it? I will make my final decision on my own of course, but would appreciate any feedback to help me out. Thanks, Hal

Quote Originally Posted by CTHal
    This truck is very solid...but has those cosmetic and mechanical issues. The seller is asking $3,500 firm. Is this truck worth it, and if it isn't something that suits my needs, would I be able to get my money back on it? I will make my final decision on my own of course, but would appreciate any feedback to help me out. Thanks, Hal
    Hal, most every M715 will have some cosmetic and mechanical issues. This one sounds like it's pretty chopped up for fire truck duty though. $3500 sounds high to me considering all the holes and things in it. I think it would be tough to get that back out of it in that condition. These trucks can be tough to sell and I think your seller will find that out soon enough.

Stan

Hal, it also depend on what you want to do with it. Do you want a stock truck or were you thinking about making a wheeler out of it? For stock, I would pass. Thats alot of holes to weld up and dress clean. For a wheeler those holes might help you wash out the mud...:^)) They are out there. Keep in mind there are not a million of these rigs out there. You may find a cheaper one somewhere but if it is non running you have to still get it home. That can be pricey. Look around a bit. There may be another close by for cheaper. As for getting your money back... well Buyer beware. In all my years of buying and selling rigs I have NEVER heard of someone getting their money back because the buyer changed their mind. So check it out very well beforehand. There is a what to look for list over on the left margin. Print it out and take it with you. Make sure they see you using that list. When your done looking it's harmless to ask if they are open to offers. Never insult or be pushy. Ask rather than tell. You might get it cheaper than you think. Good luck!!!
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserjeeps
    As for getting your money back... well Buyer beware. In all my years of buying and selling rigs I have NEVER heard of someone getting their money back because the buyer changed their mind.
    I think he means could he resell it after buying it and still get what he paid for it back out of it. I think the answer in this case would probably be "no."

Stan

theres two that look better than what you are describing for the same money in dallas.... but i have no idea where you are

DUH!! My bad... I had a few beers last night. I think it is showing... Thanks Stan...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserjeeps
    DUH!! My bad... I had a few beers last night. I think it is showing... Thanks Stan...
    Mmmmmm...beeeeeer....

Thanks for the replies. I am in CT. I saw one on eBay in MA that was more original, but the floor was rusty, and it needed dent work. It closed at about $2,000, didn't meet reserve, and is re-listed. It is a toss-up...the ebay one is more original (un-cut) but needs rust work. I hate rust work. This other one is rock-solid, always stored inside. But.....those 4" holes in the bed and cab floor..... Will these things appreciate like the "more
    desirable" military vehicles, or will they always be the red-headed step-child? Thanks, Hal...can't sleep....

Default M715 value

Where in CT are you? I'm in New Haven!

I would keep my eyes open. You can buy a rig outside the rust belt for $2000 and have it shipped to CT for $1000. This is what I should have done...