Thread: Boom?

Default Boom?

i was talking to a old vet the other day he said that he had one that had a boom on it. it was used as a recovery vehicle for the smaller jeeps. he also said they used it alot in the shop for lifting motors and aircraft engines. did these have a addon for it? i searched boom in the forums and only came up with one article and it looked cool. but no one said if it came as a addon or not?

A boom could be easily added (same as any pickup) but was not anything standard.
    Standard trucks were m715 troop carrier, m725 ambulance, m726 telephone truck and the m724 cab/chassis truck that usually was configured as a 6217 contact maintenance truck.

BTW, my brother in Tulsa is working on a wrecker conversion for a M715 using a Holmes 500 wrecker bed.

Like this one belonging to DP

http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/crane/

In reading this article on the M715:
    http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/700014

It mentions that different bodies can be used on this platform and mentions a wrecker a couple times...one of the times it states it in a way that made me think there was at least one built that way...my reading into it a little maybe...but it is not impossible...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thats a gin pole kit, my friend had one set up on his m-37. I never saw any set up on a 715, the military one used the f. shackels on the m37 to mount but the hidden design of the ones on f. of the 715 wouldnt allow it.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I went to that website and it requires paying for the download. I'd really like to read that, is it worth the 20 bucks or so to get it?

Scott

I have a copy sitting here....
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I made a crane for my little CJ5 many years ago, spookily similar to that example. It would be better to mount it off the back, let the rear axles take the weight. The engine can act as a counter weight, and you can mount a plow up front for more weight. I know the winch is up front, but it is easy to make a short mast with a pulley sheave on top, so the cable run up over the cab. Plus it will steer from the back, like a forklift. Much better for positioning heavy objects.
    Feast or famine,