Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock seat project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stock seat project

The stock tech column was getting a little thin lately, so I decided to rework my seats and post it for what its worth.

Got around to getting the seats out of the truck today and am going to recover them, keeping them stock. I WD-40'd the bolts a few weeks ago, and they turned right out. Took the seats into the shop and up on the workbench:

That's what I started with. Mouse nest in both seats, but old ones, not from my garage.

This is the pattern for the string, not sure if it is right. Other seat used speaker wire to hold the cover on. The one seat back with the fire extinguisher has the four bolts to hold the bracket on poking out and into the canvas cover. I'm going to reverse the bolts and have the heads to the canvas cover to minimize any chafing.

Removed all the horse-hair matting and spent some time straightening the spring packs and trimming all loose wire ends to minimize poke-thru. Replaced all the hinge bolts and washers with new ones. Used lock-nuts.

Taking the seats to work tomorrow and powerblast them clean.

More to follow.....
    Scott

Great thread starter!!

When I did my seas, I took the canvs off, handed t to my loving wife...she was able to copy what was there and make new covers though she did it with a grey material that held up really well...basically, they arent hard to make patterns from andake new covers...course you can buy new ones too these days...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

As it turns out I'm starting the same project. The only differance, I'll be using foam for padding. I will follow along as a student (so you can show me how to string the bottom). When I opened the package and the string fell out I said to my wife "This is why I have velcro shoes".

Here's what they look like cleaned up:

I ordered new covers from Surplus City Jeep Parts, to match the cab top I got from them last year. Should have them in a few days, they have the seat covers in stock.

You can see where the four bolts from the fire extinguisher penetrate into the lower seat back cushion (if it was there). I'm going to remove the brackets from both seats.

Scott

If anyone wants seats I have the pair from my 725 they are missing the back pads but are free if interested

I need seats but have the frames. I'll take them. Let me know what shipping is to 32696 and I'll pay you for shipping. I guess I'll have to track down some seat backs too.

I need a seat mount. ( Not the seat, just the floor to the seat part.) Are you able to assist? I'll have to check which side.
    1969 M715 USDA FS FEPP Truck

Is anyone aware of what grade/type of plywood was used for the bottoms? I need to make a replacement for one of my seats, and would like to maintian the same material and paint...
    keith.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.zuffenhaus.us

I'm sure it is a standard plywood, just use A-C and put the good side down. You won't see the inside. Just match the thickness and you're good to go.

I don't have alot of miles on the truck since the recovering, but they are holding up very good.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Default Seat springs

Seat springs,.....I need some.