Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any diesel mechanics on here?

Default any diesel mechanics on here?

i have a 1980 iveco magirus 200ab13fs with a deutsch 6 cylinder diesel that turns over really slow. i ve had it for a couple of years now and hasn't been cranked without pulling it off with a truck. rarely use it so thats been ok.i now plan on taking the box off the back and flat bedding it to use for a tow rig.i have had the starter built by 2 different people replaced the leads and batteries.as of now the batteries are wired up to 12 volts. would anyone know if this vehicle is 12 or 24 volt?

thanks in advance

Your alternator might say what it is. Would be worth a look if nobody else speaks up.

I am not familar with an Iveco and not a diesel mechanic ,but you can pull a taillight/parking bulb and get part # if possible off the bulb,I can tell you what voltage it is

i ll try to pull one tommorow

More than likely 24-volts negative terminal to ground positive terminal to starter jumper between positive and negative terminals. this will creat the 24-volts needed to turn the starter at the correct speed. if you're working in a tight spot with the terminals you may want to tape the wrench so you dont ground out.

i wired it up to 24 volts and still turned over slow but blew headlights so i guess its 12 volt

Well, if the problem is electrical there WILL be excessive heat somewhere. This assumes the batteries are good,

After cranking the engine, check for heat at the battery terminals, connections to the solenoid, the solenoid enclosure, starter motor, and ground wire – basically the entire path of the starting current. If you find a hot spot, correct it.

Does the motor fire and go when you crank even if it is slow? Slow crank may be just the way it is if it fires up.
    Zone holster maker

it turns over one good revolution and then starts to drag will not crank have to pull it off with a truck.it is a hassle to hook the air compressor up to it to release the brakes and then drag the 25000 lb vehicle to crank it

Hmmmm.... sounds like you are trying to crank the motor and the drive train. If your truck is stick then is it in gear, if it's an auto then maybe somethings messed up with that.

Check all your connections as stated before. You have checked the started but what about a the relay or selinod? Have they been checked and or replaced?
    Zone holster maker