Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 351 maybe?

Default 351 maybe?

I am thinking about pulling the underpowered 6 out and going with an 8. My father is a Ford guy and has a 351 with an auto. The motor is free so I think it is a good way to go. Any thoughts?
    US ARMY

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Which 351? Cleveland, Windsor, "M"?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It is a good size for a swap into these trucks...good power increases with any version AS LONG AS you dont use a Cleveland with the 4 barrel heads...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

personally think the 351M and 400M are boat anchors.

One of the great things about this site is the depth and scope of the knowledge base, and the ready contributions of time and effort made by enthusiastic supporters. You will find plenty of useful advice on your engine swap and do not be discouraged nor take to heart any unsupported opinions that only foster discouragement (every once in a while, bad intentions or just bad judgement will result in a bad post). Give the site a couple of days to work and you'll find plenty of folks with first-hand experience ready to lend advice and provide technical support.

A free engine and transmission of a power rating higher than stock that is backed by a ready supply of parts from any store? Study up on the similar swaps that other zoner's have done and make a plan and then work the plan. Congratulations and good luck!

Free is always good
    If someone can put a LS1 in a Prowler or put a small block in a Corvair, it can be done.
    Check out Trans dapt part # 4849
    http://www.tdperformance.com/product...set=7754&rsku=
    Sure it'll fit, hand me that big hammer!

The Windsor is a great motor and there are a ton of parts/upgrades out there for it. I would recommend (with any swap) going with a more modern transmission. There is nothing wrong with the stock T-98, it is just an old non-OD design that shifts more like a grain truck than a light duty transmission. Anything that will bolt up to a 5.0 will fit. Stay away from the T-5 5spd that was in a ton of Mustangs - good transmission, just a little too light duty. If you want an automatic then you can find C-4 & C-6 non-OD (skip the C-5) along with several newer OD auto's. Stay away from the transmissions ending in e as they are electronically controlled, unless your donor is FI and you are already bringing all the computer stuff over, otherwise it is just a big pain.
    If it is a Cleveland or Modified then they are good motors too! Now you are into the 385 series motor and any transmission that will bolt up to a 460 will bolt up to yours! That means you can get a 6spd manual transmission if you want plus all the other transmissions already listed. If it is either of these then the first time you want to rebuild the motor swap in the crank & piston from a 400m and bam! Instant 49 more CI - no clearancing required. Be careful doing some of the normal upgrades like a 4 barrle intake & carb though. The heads are so bad on these, in the 2v form, that you will not be able to use the extra fuel and will eventually wash the cylinders. A really popular swap is the 4v Aussie head. The Cleveland 4v head that Jon refered too is sweet for high RPM work but if I had a set I'd sell them & replace them with the Aussie ones. Better low end torque which is much better for a truck. As a bonus since the bolt pattern is the same if you want to upgrade in the future a 460FI from the junkyard is almost a bolt in. Since the 460 just drops into the stock engine bay (with the 390 mounts) you could use a version of the Spicer Plates to move the mounts a little for the 351.
    Good luck!
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

To put the 460 in, Drew used the 390 mounts and ovaled 1 hole a little...just to fill that detail in...not a big deal.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

I didn't mention that because it wasn't necessary when I did mine. I think I played with swapping the mounts left to right, but I didn't oval any of the mounting holes.
    The 351/400 has different mount locations so he'd have to use a variation of the Spicer Plate.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Good info!