Thread: No titles?

Default No titles?

ok, I haven't gotten my first M715, still in the research and saving faze. While surfing I came across this auction on Ebay, Item#280449674043.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123

In the Q&A portion at the bottom, he says that there is no title, and that none of these ever had titles? Is this true? If so, can they be titled later, how? I did search but didn't see anything.

If they have been owned by individuals, then there should be a title to go with it. However, if the current owner bought it from the government through GSA, GL or any number of other ways. No title came with it. Instead, there is a form called a SF-97 (Standard Form-97) This form basically says the government owned it and now you do. Most all states will accept a SF-97 and issue you a title from that.

I can't access ebay from work, so I can't see the add. Since GL charges $60 for a SF-97. Most people just don't get one and sell the truck without it. The one hang up on the SF-97 is that it only goes to the person that one the auction. If you are buying from that person, they it will have to be titled in his name and then transferred to yours.

Or, you could pay $250 to International Title Service and have an Alabama title in about 2 weeks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I don't know why other states don't have provisions like MI.
    I just picked up another '69 MACH1 from a buddy as payment for something I did for him - it came w/o a title (basket case he bought in TX) and all I had to do was go down to the DMV & get an inspection form, have a LEO come out and sign that the VIN I wrote down was correct, and take that form back to the DMV. They do a National search (takes about 20 minutes for the computer) to see if that VIN comes up stolen (or other problems I guess) and then issued me a clean title. Cost me an extra $20 or so over just taking a title in for transfer. You might want to check with your local DMV - they might have something similar. It isn't on the web-site for the DMV here but if you go in and ask they will help you out. The only reason I knew to do this the first time, a decade ago, with another truck is that I had a buddy tell me about it - form hasn't changed a lick
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Sounds like the vehicle is registered, but states like mine (CT) don't issue titles to older vehicles. It doesn't mean that it has no paperwork. An old registration and bill of sale is probably all you need, but I would call your state's DMV to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    If they have been owned by individuals, then there should be a title to go with it. However, if the current owner bought it from the government through GSA, GL or any number of other ways. No title came with it. Instead, there is a form called a SF-97 (Standard Form-97) This form basically says the government owned it and now you do. Most all states will accept a SF-97 and issue you a title from that.
    Thought it was something like that, but didn't know for sure.

Thanks for all the ReplyS

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One thing to watch out for though with an SF-97. Most, if not all states won't accept an SF-97 unless it is issued to the person applying for a title. What that means is if a person has the SF-97 and is selling you the truck, then they must apply for the title if the SF-97 is in their name.

Otherwise, that SF-97 is useless to you unless it has your name on it. An SF-97 is pretty much like a certificate of origin on a new car, that tells the DMV you are now the new owner so that they can issue a title to you for the vehicle.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™