Thread: Fuel Tank Question

Default Fuel Tank Question

I apologize for the newbie question but is something missing from this photo? There is almost 11 inches between the outside of the filler neck to the actual (smaller) opening.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

There is a cone shaped screen that drops into the filler neck, but it isn't necessary, just there to keep the big chunks out.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That track design inside is leftover from earlier yrs. where an extension of the neck was built in an could be extended up. I know m-37's had them an Im sure other models from that time prob. did also.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

That doesnt appear to be a standard M715 type filler neck...guessing it isnt hooked to the tank either...

The stock one has a 4 1/4 outlet that doesnt neck like that. There is a little lip that holds the screen but yours looks different.

The tank has a 3 inch inlet so the interconnecting filler hose has a large top end for the top piece and a smaller end for the tank...looks like a mini alp horn.

The reason they setup is so large, in case you were wondering that, is that the mil spec says the tank need to be able to accept fuel at 20 gpm...thats pretty fast for a gas tank.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thank you for the great information. I guess i will just have to use a piece of hose as an extension when i "filler up".

Why do you need to use a hose? Is there a hole somewhere that lets fuel out the side or something?

Is the pictured angle of the filler neck the actual installed position of the filler neck?

I believe I have a spare correct filler neck...though without the little filter thing that is nice but not needed...basically a fine seive...like a little China Cap if you know a kitchen well...maybe you need one...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I've heard 2 different Vietnam Vets talk about the enemy wrapping tape around grenades then pulling the pin and having kids drop them into these big tank spouts. The gas would take awile to eat away the tape. Usually worked better when driving and when the tape got weak BOOM. Don't know if its true but make for a good story I guess.

I see what your saying Luke. The filler neck is mounted sticking out the side level with the ground. No doubt a result of adding the flatbed? My guess would be to figure out a way to angle it slightly up so that gas would flow down it without coming back out or shorten it so that the filler nozzle would fit up to that smaller hole. you could always put a 90 degree end on it and mount it to the side like the stock trucks have. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it