Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novak or Advanced?

Default Novak or Advanced?

If this question is already archived, then please excuse. I would love to hear the opinion of all, especially those with hands-on experience, regarding the pros and cons of these adapters to fit a GM 350 or 6.2d into the M715 with as little trouble as possible? I've started my research, but would like to hear from folks that have used the product or are servicing a truck with the adapter installed. Thanks a bunch!

To bolt th engine in, people use what are called "Spicer plates" after a former member who came up with them. These are just flat pieces of steel that llow for the engine mounting with a factory rubber mount and keep plenty of clearance, even with a 454, between the engine and firewall AND allow use of a stock fan on the front. They look like this:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showpost....53&postcount=6
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

instead of an adaptor to the tranny which is $$, put in a sm465 or nv4500 or if you want an auto go with a 700r4 or th400.

lots of ways to go
    I used the novak because I had a parts truck with a fresh 350 and the adapter kit in it . I drove the truck for a while so I knew everthing worked well.
    The Novak kit required clearancing the passenger side fire wall. I worked to hard fixing a dozen small rust holes to beat up my fire wall.
    I used a trandapt crossmember motor mount the shift the engine forward.
    Here is a novak link that I found interesting
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/m715_swap.htm
    here is pictures of my project

There is a lot of good info from well built trucks on this site.
    good luck with your project

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on either, unless you are really bent on keeping the stock transmission. As Kwai pointed out the options for better transmissions are there, and you could go with an overdrive at the same time for better road manners. Plus 2WD transmissions are a bit more plentiful too.

That is the only reason that you'd need an adaptor kit. Like Jon said, just make the mount plates and you can pretty much bolt in anything to the stock frame horns then.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

From what I've seen, both the Novak and Advanced are almost identacle for their engine to T98 transmission adapter. Price new is high, but many people are glad to pay it for the ease of bolting a Chev engine to the stock transmission. I'm guessing there are so many already out there, that if you wanted to go that route, a little looking might find you a good used one someone is willing to sell you. I personally used an Advanced to bolt in my 6.2 diesel and was very happy with the results. The motor mounts to the frame are much simpler and cheaper and can be fabricated more easily.

Spicer Plates and an NV4500.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    Spicer Plates and an NV4500.
    That would be my plan.......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks for the input guys - I'm planning accordingly. I really didn't want to do anything more than an engine swap, but I think the NV4500 and a 6.2 are going to fit my goals more than the adapter. Now...I need to locate a budget priced NV4500 - more junkyard fun!

You might have good luck if you look up Elliot, he seems to come across those often as he hunts for hydroboost setups.