Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    I just wonder if this truck were purpose-built as a fire truck from a combination of civvy and MV parts.

There is a company, E-One, who builds fire equipment. The only thing is though that they started in 1974 according to their website: http://www.e-one.com/about/eone-profile.htm
    Oskosh recycles HEMMETs (not sure, the big slant nose 8x8) into airport crash trucks, I wonder if this is something similar?
    It could be they were just exploring other options or markets?
    Cool truck though, roundest unbent wheel wells I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SAC715 View Post
    Since you have the front clip off of the truck, check the top of the right frame rail where the angled brace welds on for a serial number. Weird headlight mounts also. Good idea sticking with the resto. Nice truck.
    Well I was able to check the frame serial number this weekend and it matches the one on the dash plaque - 36151. Also noticed that the head gasket that was on the engine was the civilian style not the military style as noted in a previous post. That could explain why the engine was covered in oil and sludge. I cleaned up the head this weekend and found a machine shop that said they could re-build it for me so will drop it off this week and see if it is salvagable. Stopped by Surplus City when I was in Oroville on Saturday and picked up a couple of more parts that I needed. Am making progress on getting the old girl back on the road.

you never posted a pic of the serial number plate on the dash. Does that stamped serial number and date match the number scribed on the plate attached to the glovebox.

I don't think this is some kind of made up for the Fire Dept truck. The M715E1 is a known model. However this was a fire dept truck and they do have a tendency to modifiy things. Usually you can look at the wiring and tell what bubba at the fd added and what is original. There are some definite oddities to this truck. BIG thumbs up for the extra work you are going thru to restore it!!!

The brass data plate on the glove box is very simular to the brass data plate I have for the Navy M715.

It was even mount crooked.....

Did you ever find the Blackout stop light? I have a couple of spares
    Last edited by Warthog; November 20th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

I did find a blackout stoplight but thanks for asking. I have not found a guard/mount for the hood blackout light yet.

As far as the serial number plates on the dash go - I do not think the stamped serial number plate had a serial number on it. The spot for it was blank. I will take a picture of it when I get a chance I keep forgetting to take my camera with me when I am in the shop working on it.

The machine shop that is doing the cylinder head for me finally got back to me and said that I need to replace all of the valves not just the broken one and that they were having trouble locating them so now I have to locate some valves. I was going to replace the exhaust valves but I guess 6 more intake valves won't make a huge dent in the overall restoration costs. The new piston is back in and I purchased some used windows and am waiting for them to arrive. It is really curious that the fixed windows were an odd size. I am thinking that this truck may have had a different style top on it when it came from the factory. I will save the old windows in case I figure something out down the road.

Half the fun of restoring an old oddball truck like this is doing the research and finding the correct parts. I have talked to military surplus parts houses all over the country along with many other owners of these trucks in this search and have learned much about these trucks that I never knew before. I am sure that I will continue to learn many more interesting facts before the resto is complete.

Tom

I know VPW had valves awhile back because I almost bought one for the 60's era Manley box it was in. Just thought it was a cool piece of nostalgia.

E1= Export?

If you need the base plate for the hood blackout light, I have a couple...I have one used bulb but no guard/hoop piece.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default intake valves

I just saw some intake valves for the tornado on ebay. They seemed reasonable too.