Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

I also noticed the front spring mount.

The seat is like a deuce seat but like you point out the hinge is like a 715.
    push button the dash to start the engine like a deuce as well.

looking at the big pictures of the doors the fixed windows look normal. Maybe the frame not right. do you have a picture that shows the windows and frame all together. your other pictures are too close up.

Thanks everyone for all of the input. Although I have owned many Jeeps this is my first military vehicle so many of these things are new to me. My first inclination when I bought the vehicle was to restore it to original condition. I started wavering on that plan when I determined the engine damage, but now that I know it is somewhat of a unique vehicle I think I will stay with the original plan. Even though it may take a few dollars I am going to try to get the engine running again. I will look forward to much more help from all of the knowledgable people on this board

Make sure you get the military version head gasket. If the civy version is used on a military block you will have a massive oil leak in the gap area shown in the image below.

Military version on the right.

Does the top left dash data plate match the one on the glove box? That's where I usually see the stamped VINs.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I just wonder if this truck were purpose-built as a fire truck from a combination of civvy and MV parts.

There is a company, E-One, who builds fire equipment. The only thing is though that they started in 1974 according to their website: http://www.e-one.com/about/eone-profile.htm

Still though, maybe an e-mail along with a picture might not hurt.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

But then it wouldn't have the mil depo tag on the carb rebuild and the double battery box? All the other FD stuff seems to be 12v. I am putting a second battery in the Bronco I just picked up but that is just for insurance because of the plow.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    But then it wouldn't have the mil depo tag on the carb rebuild and the double battery box?
    Unless they were just in the truck they started with maybe. I could see the FD or whoever, building it to have two batteries and an isolator for additional lights, etc, even if it was 12 volts.

Again, just a possibility of the many that could be. The "E-1" designation and the hand engraved, brass data plate are all very curious. Most things that were experimental or prototype in the military were given and "XM" designation.

A good person to ask would be David Doyle over at Steel Soldiers. He might have some insight if you were to drop over there and PM him. He's very approachable and helpful.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I do remember Jeep was trying to make a vehicle that was updated from the M715 to get the next contract, around the mid 70's whe the M880 and such were contracted...the may have been in the prototype pool for that idea...

Thanks for posting all the pics!!!!

Is there a turn signal box somewhere? The control unit is usually where your starter relay is next to the master cylinder...

Lots of interestng stuff there...

Havent had time to measure my windows as I had an "emergency" bull slaughter fest...1500 lbs or so of WORK in the near 0 temps...hopefully today...though I can see yours are something other than normal.

I agree with the comment to keep it as is...unless you can find out the FD or someone after Jeep added in certain things, that could then be removed, I would leave it myself...as far as we can tell at this point, you have a 1 of 2 remaining...though there may be several more, there surely arent thousands or they would have come out of the woodwork sooner than 40 years later.

Great find!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Restoration Progress

Here are some more progress photos:

The cause of my engine problems. The lower part of the engine looked fine and other than a few minor nicks the cylinder bore looked ok so am going to take a hone to the cylinder and throw a new piston and rings in and put it back together. It may burn a little oil and have low compression in that cylinder but I think it will run for what I am going to use the truck for. Great tip on the head gasket. I would appreciate any other assembly tips that anyone may have. This is the first time I have ever worked on a Tornado engine.

Removed the dog house to make engine access easier. Only twisted off one bolt in the bottom of the cab. I guess that is not too bad for a 40 year old truck.

At some point along the way the oil pressure gage was replaced with a mechanical unit so I will have to locate a sending unit and an electric gage to return to original. Looks like the wire plug from the harness is still there. One of the screws on the distributor cap is twisted off - another one to drill out

Still have not solved the window problem.

I did inspect the underside of the hood when I took it off. The holes for the blackout light were there - they have been welded shut as I suspected so this must have been the original hood. Where did they wire for the blackout light come off of the harness? I see one cut wire up near the firewall where the wiring harness enters the engine compartment - I suspect that this is probably it. Also there are to heavy ground cables that have been cut off. One is at the left engine mount and the other is attached to the frame near the left engine mount. I suspect one of them went to the slave cable plug. Not sure where the other one went.

Well will try and order some engine parts tomorrow and when they come in I will send the head off to a machine shop for an overhaul. In the meantime I need to get my steam cleaner working so I can clean some of the grime off this engine before I reassemble it. Thanks for pointing out all of the unique features on my truck. I will continue to post progress photos and ask questions.

Tom