Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

Looks like a crazy mix of civvy and MV.
    Think it could be a proto-type that Kaiser tried to come up with to keep the vehicle contract?
    Have to say that I like the changes to the interior. Bench seat, e-brake, and battery box.
    Last edited by Ronner; January 1st, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

yep that battery box is nifty. Albeit small for todays batteries. me thinks this is Johnny cash's m715. got it one piece at a time. You know.......68,69,70 automobile. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk715 View Post
    A continental 226 bolts to the stock trans??? Didnt they put that motor in the WD Allis Chalmers tractors and combines??
    My first M715 fresh from CD had the Continental engine. I appreciated it much more than the Kaiser Engine. Faster, more power, and multi-fuel. I remember the displacement being different though, like 240 or 250?

The front valance is civilian, even has painted over lenses in the turn signal area instead of metal. That seems very odd, like it has been replaced, that would explain the hood, which is a stock razor type FSJ hood. Does it have the holes drilled for the blackout light on the hood? Maybe a possible front end collision replacement job?

The solenoid goes to the starter. Is it also different than the normal setup? I have not really researched that yet.

It looks like the holes for the blackout light were in the hood at one time. The underside of the hood is rusted and rough in that area. I need to take a sanding wheel to it and clean it up to see if the holes were welded shut at some point which is what appears to have happened.

The e-brake lever is from something like a M105 trailer. I like the idea better than the stock setup.

The passenger seat is a M35 deuce passenger seat.

The battery box is likely designed to fit 2 2HN batteries. Some pictures in the manuals show the 2HN batteries while other pictures show the 6TL batteries found in the M35 trucks. That battery location is a nice idea. Although it eliminates storage of the top frame and bows behind the seats.

As for the side window it looks like someone tried to make the left side fit the right side without success.

I don't see a starter button on the tranny cover just above the shifter (there is a cover plate there). Is there a keyed ignition on the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The e-brake lever is from something like a M105 trailer. I like the idea better than the stock setup.

The passenger seat is a M35 deuce passenger seat.

The battery box is likely designed to fit 2 2HN batteries. Some pictures in the manuals show the 2HN batteries while other pictures show the 6TL batteries found in the M35 trucks. That battery location is a nice idea. Although it eliminates storage of the top frame and bows behind the seats.

As for the side window it looks like someone tried to make the left side fit the right side without success.

I don't see a starter button on the tranny cover just above the shifter (there is a cover plate there). Is there a keyed ignition on the truck?
    There is no starter button on the floor. No keyed ignition switch either. The ignition switch on the dash operates the starter. I thought the same thing about the window but both doors have the same fixed window situation and there does not seem to be anyway to easily reverse them.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I don't think that is a Deuce passenger seat. The hinge looks just like the stock M715 seat frame. The deuce seat has a flat metal hinge/support.

Also, anyone notice the bolted on front spring shackle mount? Very unusual.

Data plate is brass too. All of the stockers were aluminum.

The top of that side door glass is slanted. I don't know what that was designed to fit. The track for the window is on the correct side, although it could have been switched as I think that part screws on with several small sheetmetal screws. I don't remember offhand, but I do know the fixed glass is square with no angle at all to the frame.
    Last edited by randyscycle; January 2nd, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I noticed the front axle and the rear output on the transfercase have flanges not yokes

Interesting spring mount...

Very unique vehicle! I hope you preserve it as is - I´ts certainly a piece of history.