Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New to this Forum and M715 Ownership

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and to M715 ownership. I recently purchased a non-running vehicle that was fairly complete and rust free. I was hoping to restore it to original military condition but have run into a few problems. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. The dash plates show a model M 715 E-1 - Is there any significance to "E-1"?

2. The dash plate shows a VIN # of 36151 and a delivery date of 1970 - I thought production of these vehicles ended in 1969 why does mine say 1970? Is there another place on the vehicle to to find the production date?

3. After diagnosising why the engine would not run I discovered that it had broken an exhaust valve in the Number 6 cylinder which in turn knocked a gaping hole in the top of the piston. I pulled the cylinder head and the valve seat is chewed up but looks repairable and I have not disassembled the lower part of the engine to determine the extent of the damage. The engine turns over without any significant noises and I even had it running briefly on 5 cylinders before discovering the damage. Can I get parts to rebuild this engine? Seems like most people are swapping in new engines rather than repairing the 230's but since this vehicle is so complete I would like to restore it to original condition if it is economically possible.

Thanks for any help in advance. I have discovered a lot of information on this forum already and look forward to learning much more as I continue with my restoration.

Default Some Pictures of My Truck

Last edited by Binford; December 29th, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Embedded pics into the post

First off I'd check the VIN stamped in the frame for a match

Frame rail serial number stamping locations

There is another E-1 model in the vin registry. Serial number 36153. Be interesting to know more about the E1 designation.

Here is a picture of the bad piston

Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    There is another E-1 model in the vin registry. Serial number 36153. Be interesting to know more about the E1 designation.
    Interesting indeed Kwai

The pdf linked below shows the "E1" designation as a variant to the base model in most cases.

No info on the "E1" for the M715 but it shows many other E1 varients.

Just search the doc for E1

http://www.warwheels.net/images/USWh...revithick3.pdf

Something different about this truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocntj View Post
    Hi All,
    3. After diagnosising why the engine would not run I discovered that it had broken an exhaust valve in the Number 6 cylinder which in turn knocked a gaping hole in the top of the piston. I pulled the cylinder head and the valve seat is chewed up but looks repairable and I have not disassembled the lower part of the engine to determine the extent of the damage. The engine turns over without any significant noises and I even had it running briefly on 5 cylinders before discovering the damage. Can I get parts to rebuild this engine? Seems like most people are swapping in new engines rather than repairing the 230's but since this vehicle is so complete I would like to restore it to original condition if it is economically possible.

Thanks for any help in advance. I have discovered a lot of information on this forum already and look forward to learning much more as I continue with my restoration.
    From what I've read, I believe a full rebuild could run you anywhere from $2-3k in just parts. The stuff is all available, but it's expensive. You gotta really want it to be original to justify it.

If it was me, I'd throw a Chevy 292 in there. It kind of fits with the theme of the original engine.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Or a Ford 300. Doesn't that bolt straight up to the stock transmission?

But if this truck is peculiarly rare, it might be worth rebuilding the stock engine, eh?

Neat find, Rocntj! Welcome aboard!
    -- Tim Taylor

Welcome aboard!!
    Nice truck, bad news on the motor...

The only things that bolt to the stock T98 are the 226 Continental flathead and the 230 ohc.

This is a rare find. It will be interesting to see what you have here exactly.

Drivers side slave receptacle and passenger side jerry can mount are unusual...as is the round thing, reflector or side marker light maybe?, below the passenger hood latch. The front turn signal housngs and rear turn/brake light housings are incorrect for an M715 usually...not sure either of those came on your truck stock...

It appears that bent metal line at the firewall is the oil supply line to the head from the sending unt tee...if so, thats a good up grade as stock has a rubber hose with a coil of wire around it...prone to leaking. The metal line was stock on civvy trucks but not on the mil versions.

The lower part in the middle of the brush guard is not stock from the M715 normally...could be on yours though...

Whatever that black ring is behind the divers door...never seen that before...

Would love more info and more pics...great find!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

On the delivery date, its hard to say...we dont have any documented truck after 2/69...this is for true M715's. With yours being an M715 E1, it is certainly possible that the deliery date is in 1970. If it is stamped on the dash plate, I would trust that...does it have a month stamped there or just the year?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!