Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc Brake Conversions

Default Disc Brake Conversions

Looking to hear from anyone who has installed the Ugly Truckling Disc Brake conversions on their M715? Any suggestions of what else I ought to service while I'm tore into the axles that far...kiss method, I'm not a mechanic by trade just by shade. This is my second Kaiser but my first was full mil spec...this one is far from original other than looks. Also looking for a steering dampener...what fits?...sits on stock rims with 38.5 Hummer knobbys.

Check and pack bearings races, you will have to do this anyways to the front while doing the disc. brake conversion. I recommend if you get into the kingpins on the top and lower knuckles you do not mix up the shim packs. Check to see if the top bushing and bottom coned roller bearings are happy and repack with clean grease, Again do not mix up the shim packs. Install the disc. brakes per their instructions. I did mine and some members said you should install the calipers on the front of the hub, I installed mine per the directions on the rear of the hub. There were no surprises other than me mixing up my shim packs on the knuckles. I also installed new felts and wipes for the backside of the closed knuckles. I did pull the axles and clean, put new grease and oil in the diffs and hubs. I also installed selectro lock outs on the front at the same time. I am very happy with the front discs. so far. For a steering stabilizer I just went with a pro comp unit that was for a FSJ. It fit and works fine. Good Luck.

I like fisherman installed the calipers to the back as per instructions but I think the m 715 is really to be installed to the front. I had to grind the housing for full wear movement of the (pad) slide. I don't mean to be a smart azz but reconsider putting any $ into those stockers. You' re better off with a big brake 44. (if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have gone there). If you havn't purchased the kit yet that is.

Big Brake 44?

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the stock drum brakes, they are huge. When they are working properly they stop the truck perfectly fine if not great. I only added the front disc brake setup to alleviate any problem with water, which we have more than our share of here in the Northwet.

What I mean by big brake 44 is the late model GM dana 44 with the big brakes/hub (1 ton). Seems as if everyone is wanting a dana 60, around here they're mighty proud of them. I think they're overrated. Some say that dana44 I mentioned is stronger than the stock dana 60. Axles and u joints anyway. And they already have disc. brakes. I guess it depends on what real time rigors your putting it through. For me the 44 whould have done it without the $600.00 something for the kit. But.... it is bolt on and quality crafted.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    I like fisherman installed the calipers to the back as per instructions but I think the m 715 is really to be installed to the front. I had to grind the housing for full wear movement of the (pad) slide. I don't mean to be a smart azz but reconsider putting any $ into those stockers. You' re better off with a big brake 44. (if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have gone there). If you havn't purchased the kit yet that is.

Only prob is you can't just swap the front - unless you like having two bolt patterns.

Keep in mind that an axle swap entails a lot besides just an axle. Wheels, brake lines, spring perches depending on the axle. It's more involved.

Very true, there is fabrication involved, for myself that wasn't an issue, but some folks do not have the facilities, skill level or time for that matter. I thought (before I knew of the zone) the stock dana 60 was a monster and it was plenty strong so I ran with it, oh well! I have to say, the ugly duckling kit is a quality upgrade. It works great from what I've seen of Todd's truck.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    I thought (before I knew of the zone) the stock dana 60 was a monster and it was plenty strong so I ran with it, oh well!
    I think you should just get a set of rockwells and give me that whimpy D60 with the disc conversion.

Plant thoughts why don't you... thats why I can't seem to "just get my truck done" I keep thinking of what I "should" do. I think should I remove the already installed caddy and "just put in my 6bd1T while the front ends off" OR " pull the stock axles and just install the high pinon ford 60 and ford 205 like I should have" no big deal! Yah right, I'm crazy I tell ya.