Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bolt in power steering box?

Is there such a thing for these trucks?

I don't particularly fret over the hose fittings... but bolting into the frame would be nice.

Also, looking for a rag joint elimination solution.

I checked the FAQ, and there is nothing there... and searched for it, but didn't see anything returned...

thanks guys.

Grand Wagoneers, FSJ's, GM-GALORE!...late model blazer, chevelle, 80's caprice...bunches. I don't know what arms to get though.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Saginaw boxes are basically a bolt in setup. I have one from a FSJ sitting and ready to go in.
    As for the pitman arm, you will need the drop pitman arm needed for lifted FSJs as the stock M715 pitman arm is pretty low and stock FSJ arms are almost straight out (better design, but doesn't fit our geometry.
    One more thing is that you will DEFINITELY want a some kind of bracing for your steering gear because of the added stress.

Look for a saginaw box with a 7 and a 6 cast into it. They are supposed to be the strongest version. They have an extra web cast into the case where the sector shaft comes out the bottom of the box. The numbers are not side by side but one on top of the other. Two different input shaft sizes. One is .780 and the other is .800 thousanths. Keep that in mind when you mate up the steering shaft. Also the top little aluminum cover has a allen socket threaded shaft locked up with a 5/8ths jam nut. Try and find a box with that threaded shaft sticking out well above the jam nut. If the threaded shaft is flush with the jam nut than the box has alot of wear and someone has adjusted it to try and take up the wear/slop.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Do not use boxes from GM trucks, as they are mounted outside the frame. Any FSJ has the box you need, and you may be able to keep the stock Pitman arm if you convert to high-steer, but I'm not sure. They bolt in, and yes, reinforce the frame to make sure.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Converting to high steer isn't that simple.
    Thing is, the stock M715 pitman arm is about equal to a drop pitman arm for FSJ's.
    The stock pitman arm on most FSJ boxes basically sticks straight out.

The pitman arm on my truck sticks almost straight out too, but a little uphill. You sure yours is original?

Chris

sure YOURS isn't flipped?

High steer isn't that hard either, which is the good thing. Much easier than on say, a Chevy pickup. Well, maybe not, there's tons of aftermarket conversions for THOSE... heheh.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Although I am unsure of the market, I wonder why someone isn't making and selling new steering arms.
    We already have the flat top knuckles. And about the only part to pose any problem is the king pin part. But that still isn't that bad really.

I'd say the market is about the only thing holding that particular item up.. figure how many of these trucks are in private hands, and then out of that small number, how many of them are in the hands of people who want to modify them in such a manner... not many I guess... I"d go look at what it would take to do it right, but.. my knuckles are in PA hahah..

Someone did that swap didn't they? I think it was like, ream out the holes and go??? hmmmmmm who's got those pics? big yellow truck w/springover...
    **I heart Bump_r **