Thread: grantshire : 70" WMS/WMS 14 Bolt Questions

Default grantshire : 70" WMS/WMS 14 Bolt Questions

70" WMS/WMS 14 Bolt Questions
    Post by grantshire on Oct 23, 2006, 4:05pm

I just picked up a 14 bolt for my M715 project. The axle was on the ground so I do not know from whence it came. However, we measured the WMS/WMS and it is 70". If my information is correct that means it is one of the slightly wider van type 14 bolts.

Questions are:

1. Since this is wider than the stock Dana 70 does it have to be converted to disc brakes to fit under my M715?

2. This one is SOA and the perches are faily close to the back of the backing plates. Since I want to stay SOA wouldn't I keep the same perch/pinion angle and just maybe move the perches out a little more?

3. How is the axle ratio of a 14 bolt designated (is there a tag like with Dana 44's)? We have not pulled the cover yet so I can't count teeth on the ring & pinion.

This is one heavy dude and is still at a friends house. It will be a few days before I can bring it home and get it into my garage to open it up or play with it.

Thanks for the info!

Richard

Default wi715 :

Re: 70" WMS/WMS 14 Bolt Questions
    Post by wi715 on Oct 23, 2006, 8:04pm

1. no. just knocks off the weight. those drums are heavy.
    2. The angle coming out of the transfer case and the driveshaft to pinion angle need to match.
    3. mine didn't have a tag, pulled cover and counted teeth

John

Default davea :

Post by davea on Oct 24, 2006, 12:11am

If you are friendly with a G.M. parts guy, he can decode the axle from the code stamped into the top of the right hand (pass. side) axle tube. The ratio will be indicated as a three letter code such as TKB, GT4, etc. It will also tell you if it has a locking rear diff.

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Oct 24, 2006, 8:41am

wi715,

I surmised as much but I was hoping. It would have saved a bunch of money, time and hassle (parking brake issue). These are by far the biggest axles I have ever messed around with. I will have to use my engine hoist to pick it up and come up with some kind of dolly system to move it around in my garage (mainly work by myself).

Swampthang,

A friend of mine's son works in the local GM truck service department so I will get him to decode the axle numbers (it is actually at his house right now). Thanks for telling me where the stamped information is located.

Richard

Default tomcat :

Post by tomcat on Oct 25, 2006, 2:30pm

For Q1:
    Its good to convert to discs, but this will not change your track width