Receiver Hitch Finishished except paint
Post by fisherman on Oct 17, 2006, 12:02am

Started over the weekend mocking things up and figuring out how I wanted to do this. I did not ever want to worry about a weld breaking or a nut coming loose. I drilled and put in 6 9/16" grade 8 bolts 3 on each side, then fully welded and plated the back just in case. My spare tire xl when I get one will still fit nicely. I added a 90 grease fitting to the pintle hitch shaft lube point underneath so I can access the grease fitting with my needle adapter for my grease gun, as there is just enough clearance for it to fit in there and won't be coming out anytime soon. The clearance between receiver and pintle is close, but both still function fine. Maybe a little overkill, but one last modification almost finished. I will paint it sometime this week.

I used a receiver hitch from a wagoneer I bought for $50.00. I fully welded the two supports that go on the 45 degree angles in the back corners. On the wagoneer they were just bolted on, I thought fully welded would really strengthen the corners and rear crossmember. Fisherman