Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tomcat : Bobbing

Default tomcat : Bobbing

Bobbing
    Post by tomcat on Sept 18, 2006, 11:22am

Im still unsure if i should cut up my M715 or not.

I like to have it a little bit shorter for offroad, on other hand i need the bed as long as possible and im not sure if i like the bobbed to the springs look.

So im thinking about a soft bobbing, to cut it halway between the bumper and springs. Anybody has a pic of a truck like this? I know i can do it in photoshop but a real pic from different angles would be still better.

Default elwenil :

Re: Bobbing
    Post by elwenil on Sept 18, 2006, 12:52pm

In my opinion, bobbing is a drastic measure and only done to increase off road performance. As such I wouldn't half-azz it. I bobbed my '74 W100 and I love it. The feel is a little weird at first, especially when backing up and looking in your mirrors but it made a world of difference off road.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 18, 2006, 3:41pm

Are you really going to wheel it to where you'll hang up the azz end? If so a winch to drag you off is probably cheaper and easier. Just a thought.

Default tomcat :

Post by tomcat on Sept 18, 2006, 6:10pm

My rear bumper on my FSJ Cherokee shows enough reasons to make the M715 shorter or higher. I like to keep it low for stability (no lift, just 38") so i will have to cut it (its hard to start with the first cut).
    I was thinking about around 10 inches. I like to keep the optical balance where the front overhang is a little bit shorter then the rear.

Btw. I will put a winch on front and back. Will try to put the back winch between the frame rails, tucked under the truck. But still i prefer to drive out than to use the winch

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Sept 18, 2006, 7:12pm

I knocked my taillights off several times, on the berm next to a graded dirt road. Anything more extreme and I woulda been stuck on the rear crossmember.

Here's -17", about as far as you can go before the shackle will hit the taillight outriggers:

It looks goofy as can be but the trucks are pretty homely on their own.

CHris

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Sept 18, 2006, 7:13pm

Oh, the "soft bob" sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Either go for the gusto or don't, in my opinion.

Chris

Default tomcat :

Post by tomcat on Sept 18, 2006, 7:30pm

I know, soft bob sounds a little bit g.y

Honestly if i can get a 45% approach angle on the rear its fine for most situations where i will go with the big truck. The work will not be the problem, i have to build a new rear crossmember for the winch anyway and im very fast with cutting. Unfortunately not that fast with welding.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Sept 18, 2006, 7:38pm

LOL - no comment for fear of infuriating the mods.

Obviously, larger tires will help a little bit and if you relocate the taillights, you'll be able to get that 45 degrees with quite a bit less shortening. But as it is, the bed just barely won't fit a sheet of plywood and that in itself deserves hacking off as much as you can manage.

One trick I did was to cut the bed floor at the full length, rather than at the point where I spliced the sides so I didn't have to make a weld across the width of the bed floor. That'll save you some time and headache.

Chris

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 18, 2006, 10:09pm

CHRIS, yours and mine are bobbed at exactly the same place. the more i see it the more i like it. got that beefy look to it especially with big tires. i,am gonna put hummers on mine .
    bob

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Sept 18, 2006, 10:22pm

Yea Bob, it's an acquired taste. I'd really like to take 17" from the front of the bed to even it out but I don't want to get into building a new gas tank and trying to juggle where to cut the frame without getting into the spring mounts or the area where the frame narrows up.

Chris