Thread: Mirror pics?

Well, I looked around for replacement mirrors for my truck, and have come to the conclusion this will only put more holes in my doors. Neither of my trucks have stock mirrors. Looking at the pic index, it looks like the stock mirror is the same as a earlier CJs, but I can't tell for sure. Ebay has stock CJ mirrors for $24+ shipping. Could someone take a few close pics of the stock mirror and post them? Or someone who has an older CJ and an 715 see if the mirrors look like they could swap? I don't want to buy useless mirrors if possible. Thanks- gonz

Default Mirror pics?

The stock mirror is a rectangular mirror that has a single stud on the rear that is threaded and mounts to an adjustable mount bar that bolts to the door. The stud in the back of the mirror piviots on a ball with 3 screws around it to adjust the tension to keep it from slopping around. I have found them in parts stores, usually chrome on occassion, but do not have a part number off hand.
    I will have to measure mine and give you the length and width....I needed a new one on my truck and I bought what was an NOS military mirror supposed to be for the M715...well it looks and mounts the same, except it is smaller in both dimensions...works but now the truck looks a little goofy...I bought it at a show and couldnt take it back...it is painted OD on the back like the other stock one I have...
    Anyway, I can take a pic of them too if you like, just have to be this evening before I can.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks Jon! I guess what I really want to compare is the mounting brackets to see if the CJ mirrors will use the same holes. From what I can tell, they look very simular- rectangular mirror, long arm, and the bracket looks "v" shaped. A pic of the mounting bracket would be great. Thanks again- gonz

I bought two mirrors from AB Linn about a year ago for $20, these were like those described by brute4c in his post. They looked OK and mounted to the stock arm but didn't last long - water leaked in behind the glass and they both cracked after our first hard freeze. Next time, I will look for higher a quality part. Even if the cold didn't get them, the moisture will take a toll by removing the reflective coating.

Good point...I have heard that before, now that you mention it...I think one person had the glass actually come out on them...I do not remember a solution...other than finding a different parts source...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Quote Originally Posted by gonz
    Thanks Jon! I guess what I really want to compare is the mounting brackets to see if the CJ mirrors will use the same holes. From what I can tell, they look very simular- rectangular mirror, long arm, and the bracket looks "v" shaped. A pic of the mounting bracket would be great. Thanks again- gonz
    Gonz, no, they are not very close. I don't think you'd gain anything by trying to use the CJ brackets on your M. Here are links to 3 pics I took for you:

http://www.nmia.com/~kittycat/ebay/C...et_closeup.jpg
    http://www.nmia.com/~kittycat/ebay/M...et_closeup.jpg
    www.nmia.com/~kittycat/ebay/M_mirror.jpg

The CJ is a 1965 CJ5, and as far as I know the mirror brackets on my M715 are stock (mirrors look to have been replaced).

Hope that helps.

Stan

I measured my mirrors and came up with 5 1/2 inches wide on both but one is 7 1/2 inches tall while the other is 8 1/2 inches tall...no idea why...
    The bracket on my doors has 2 screws that are side by side, not like the ones Stan linked to...try looking at this one...

and here is a close shot of the back of one of my dirty mirrors showing the stud mount and screws:

I know that VPW has the arms cause there the same as some of the Dodges...the mount bracket, I dont know for sure...
    brute4c

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c
    The bracket on my doors has 2 screws that are side by side, not like the ones Stan linked to...I know that VPW has the arms cause there the same as some of the Dodges...the mount bracket, I dont know for sure...
    brute4c
    Jon, I think yours are correct as my doors have the 4 holes. I have no idea where the ones that are on my M came from, they were on it when I got it. Either way I don't think the early CJ mounts would work very well.

Stan

Default Pics

Ditto on the CJ ones...actually mine are basically a piece of shaped and drilled angle iron...would be pretty easy to make...
    brute4c

Thanks alot, guys! I'm glad I didn't give into my compulsion and order the mirrors, and now I know what to really look for. This really helps me out- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun