Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveline conundrum ... req opinions

Default Driveline conundrum ... req opinions

in planning my custom, I've got several choices to make and wanted to hear a few opinions

What I'm using:
    M715
    CUCV 1031 axle swap
    5ton combat wheels w/C&M Performance centers
    395/85r20 XZL's
    BBC 468ci mildly modded

the trouble lays in the trans/xfer case choices
    1. I've got a very nicly built low milage, 2wd TCI Turbo 400, that would require getting a divoced NP205 (don't have yet)
    or:
    2. use the low milage, married np205 and t400 from the CUCV

The CUCV np205 has a PTO on it that I'll need for future mods on the truck, but can be switched to the divorced one if need be.

Which way would you suggest I go and why?
    Thanks for opinions/advice/wisdom etc

i vote divorced. Unless you have a plan to rebuild or make driveshafts then either will work just fine. The married 400/205 will be less stuff to break, but will require making or extending driveshafts. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

I would go with the cucv th400 is a hd th400 (th475). Married 205 will also be less trouble down the road. Get a Lokar shifter for the th400 and you won't even need to mess with the trans access cover or shifter hole.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'm with Kwai on this one......

One less pair of u-joints, a more modern transfer case, one simple lever, one crossmember, and probably a few pounds lighter overall too.

Divorced NP205's are getting a bit more scarce now, not impossible to find, but definitely not as plentiful as they once were.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Unfortunately, I would be in the same boat as you, and trying to make up my mind.

Ultimately, Married cases have shown themselves to be much stronger than I generally give them credit for, but I have never liked having a 205 hanging behind an aluminum tranny. They have certainly proven to be solid enough, just one of those things that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, so I am very much a fan of divorced cases.

Ultimately, I doubt if either one would have a significant strength advantage, so I would probably go divorced(just my thing, if I have room)
    I Like the flexibility of running unconventional transmissions, and the divorced setup allows that. If you are certain to keep a TH400 in it, I'd probably suggest simplicity, and married case.
    Tough call.

other things to consider to make it more muddy lol

w/the divorced you get better driveline angles (if you go big)

but w/the divorced, you add two more joints to fail that you have to carry spares for, and another shaft waiting down there to suck up rocks/trees etc

aaarggghhh lol

I've got a feeling it'll be self fullfilling once I actually get to that point and see what I have in hand vs what I have to buy/fab to get it to work.

Thanks for the help all.
    Britt

Unless you plan on going monster tall I'd stick with the married drive line. Yes mine is divorced, but that is because I plan on going with a modern OD trans some day in the future and this way I don't have to fret about expensive adapters or length.
    If you aren't going that route just get a valve body shift kit for the CUCV setup and bolt it in. If you are worried about the t-case hanging off the trans make another mount for it. Too much support for the driveline isn't bad.
    $.02

Had a divorced 205 in my '715 initially. Relocated it back a bit so the front and rear driveshafts were interchangable (one less spare to carry). Used a 1410-jointed jackshaft that was pretty much bulletproof. Overall the setup worked well.

Later, I decided I wanted an Overdrive Auto and also the option for a Doubler. So out with the Divorced 205 & jackshaft and in with married 203/205 combo. Also lost the equal length driveshafts, although they are close enough that I can still substitute in a pinch. I like this setup MUCH better. It's just cleaner under the truck, one less driveshaft and 3 less grease points and I gained overdrive for MPG and 4:1 low range.
    -Mudog
    '67 M715 #165
    521ci SFI BBF, 4R100/NP203/NP205
    GM D60 ARB/10.5" Det/5.13s/11.00-16 XZLs

Quote Originally Posted by Mudog715 View Post
    Had a divorced 205 in my '715 initially. Relocated it back a bit so the front and rear driveshafts were interchangable (one less spare to carry). Used a 1410-jointed jackshaft that was pretty much bulletproof. Overall the setup worked well.

Later, I decided I wanted an Overdrive Auto and also the option for a Doubler. So out with the Divorced 205 & jackshaft and in with married 203/205 combo. Also lost the equal length driveshafts, although they are close enough that I can still substitute in a pinch. I like this setup MUCH better. It's just cleaner under the truck, one less driveshaft and 3 less grease points and I gained overdrive for MPG and 4:1 low range.
    MD do you have a build thread?
    I was considering going to a doubler and OD at a later point myself (ModI MkII lol)