Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got one - just got er home

Default Got one - just got er home

I'm going to remove the bumpers and brush frame, then start cleaning & doing some touch up. 1968, starts right up and runs really quiet.

So I have a few questions...

What is the best Oil - Transmission Fluid to use... Can I use regular unleaded gas?

What size plug & thread is the transmission drain plug (it is MIA)

i use regular 10w-30 in mine and regular 90wt gear oil in the tranny, transfer case and axles, along with john deere corn head grease for the front knuckles. i've heard yes an no on the regular gas but everyone around here seems to know their stuff and i've read regular gas is fine. i believe it doesn't need lead additive because the valve seats are hardened. 89 octane is fine too, they're pretty low compression. someone else will have to pitch in on the drain plug, it's probably somewhere on the site in the manuals too. looks like a fun project. i like the XJ

That looks like it will be fun. You have most of the parts there.
    Yes, what he said. I tried using synthetic 10-30 and my rear main seal started leaking, making the clutch slip. Had to replace clutch.
    I think 80-90w gear oil in transmission, transfer case, and axles.
    I use regular unleaded, the cheapest I can get. Its been my daily driver for a year and a half, 50 miles a day or more.
    If you are talking about the drain on the bottom of the clutch housing, it is supposed to be out, unless fording. It might be in the glove compartment.
    Feast or famine,

now that's an exo-cage!

good luck with it man. The official manuals are here on this site and will give you tons of good info on how to properly maintain your beast

can you post me some links... I'm new in here.

Quote Originally Posted by chimesickle View Post
    If you are talking about the drain on the bottom of the clutch housing, it is supposed to be out, unless fording. It might be in the glove compartment.

OK good... I honestly dont know much yet. I did want a FSJ of some sort. and once I started looking at M715s my heart decided for me. I think I got a good one. And I will do my best to take good care of it.

But let it be known I will NEED YOU GUYS to help me on my journey. I am clueless at the moment and I want to do this correctly. Bring back & preserve a legend. (but use it and have a fun drivable jeep)

ok so the brake shoes... I assume they are not the same front & rear. I have a set of 8 that came with the truck. The owner thought they were 60s front and rear and I suggested that the rear is probably a 70.

Thats my first step is fixing the brakes.

The manuals can be downloaded, along with a ton of other stuff, on the Online Maintenance Manuals link at the top of the page.

On the shoes, there is a front and rear shoe in each drum but other than that the shoes are the same...so you shoul have 4 front shoes and 4 rear shoes to cover the whole truck...the difference is the length of the lining on the shoe.

Front is a Dana 60 and the rear is a Dana 70...but the shoes and drums interchange.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I'm searching ebay for tires. Am I correct I am looking for 16.5 rim tires?

and I suppose all of these military 37" are going to be too big, as well the 12.5 is going to possibly be too wide for this rim.

What size tire is "correct" and whats a goos source for them ? Thanks Gents.