Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quick axle question

Default quick axle question

I have a buddy that just rolled a 99 f-250, it has the dana 50 front and sterling rear. Both are 8 lug disc brakes. How does the dana 50 compare to the 60? I have heard that the ring and pinion is smaller than a 60, but nothing in the strength department. How would these compare to the stock axles? They are complete and geared 4.10. Input needed quickly as these won't last too long 'cause he needs the money. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The 50 would probably be about as good as the stock 60 in terms of strength. I think gear and locker options are limited though.

The Sterling rear is OK, but again, somewhat limited in options for lockers and heavier duty axles and the like further down the road. I also seem to recall them being pretty narrow too. I have one laying out behind the shop I could measure tomorrow to see what the WMS to WMS is.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Only reason I am wondering is that they will be extremely cheap and already have everything I was looking for 8 lug, disc. brakes, good price reasonable strength. I found a couple articles where they taut them as stronger than a dana 44, but not as strong as a 60. Let me know what you find out. I want to grab these if they will work. I also read that some are reverse rotation?

The D50 and the Sterling are both strong units. The front being about the same as a modern D60, so that is an upgrade. The rear D70 under your 715 is already a pretty stout unit so I'd say that is a draw. Parts availability is that of any modern vehicle - that is to say the exact opposite of the stock axles
    Down side is that you will have a drivers side drop front axle - no big deal, you just have to plan for it with your re-power. Divorced Ford 205's are pretty common, they used them in all the Highboy trucks from like 1970 to 1977 give or take.
    You also won't have anywhere near the aftermarket support like the D60/14b for upgrades like lockers & shafts. You will have the higher gear ratio to work with your planned diesel swap though
    Last edited by Ronner; November 26th, 2009 at 11:11 PM.

If I'm not mistaken, they only have a slight strength advantage over a D44. I'll have to look it up, but I believe that they use the same u-joint in the knuckle as a D44, and in reality, with big tires, that is probably going to be the weak link.

Unless you were planning on thrashing the thing, I would consider them a good candidate, depending on the ratio.

On the plus side, the spring perches are the correct spacing on the front axle, the down side, is that you will have to use a drivers drop t-case.

Darn I take a long time to type. There were no reply's when I started
    WMS to WMS should be close - most full sized trucks are similar dimension wise.
    Reverse rotation is a good thing. If you look at the axle and the yoke is higher than the center line of the pumpkin it is a high pinion reverse rotation VS. the older low pinion.

the ratio is 4.10 finding a ford 205 will be easier than a dodge apparently. Plus they are close to me and cheap!!!

The dana 50 is a little stronger than a D44 in the diff, but everything from the ball joints out is the same as a D60. I know because I used a spindle off one to replace one on my D60 in my '95 F350. I think the axle shafts are smaller than a D60.

Unless you plan on going backwards with your front axle I would suggest going with a reverse cut or high pinion front axle. they are much more reliable than the reverse rotation. I have never seen a reverse rotation axle work in a 4X4 since you would have to change the direction of the front drive shaft only to allow it to pull the truck forward. I know, I know..physics always screws things up.

well I got beat out for them. Called him this morning and he sold them last night to a guy online. Oh well early bird does in fact get the worm. I knew they would not last long as he had them for sale for 400.00. Live and learn. Wanted a dana 60 for the front anyways. I can't be mad though 'cause I get a new m-715 today!!! I will post up pics when it arrives. this one will be the conversion truck, I have another one on hold that will get restored so as not to anger the purist m715 gods. Snakeater