Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warmer and quieter!

Default Warmer and quieter!

Slightly warmer and quieter... the foam on the roof is 1/2" closed-cell foam (with two layers in the middle to help get rid of the puddle that always forms there), the carpet is cheap indoor/outdoor carpet on heavy padding.

Things I learned:
    1) Don't be clever!
    2) Carpet is flat, and does not like being any other shape.

I cut the carpet so I could pull it out and put it back in without removing the seats... BAD IDEA. much, much more cutting, and makes it harder to get it to stay in one spot and sit flat.

--Randy

that is pimpin cool man! looks great!

Getting ready for your Canada route trip back to N California?

Cliff

is your truck hard top or soft? wondering how you got it to stay up there if it is a soft top? Also you you should not have went so conservatively on the carpet. I think a nice multi-color shag would have been nice
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Quote Originally Posted by CrashMorriss View Post
    Getting ready for your Canada route trip back to N California?

Cliff
    Well, thanks to the new passport requirements, might be canceling that part of the trip. I think I've gathered enough paperwork to apply for one, but it takes six weeks and $100, and since I'm in a different state from any of my IDs, they say they might not even take them. Whatever happened to the days when all you needed was your DL and some proof you were an American? And I bet the government claims they're helping people, too.

--Randy

Quote Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
    is your truck hard top or soft? wondering how you got it to stay up there if it is a soft top? Also you you should not have went so conservatively on the carpet. I think a nice multi-color shag would have been nice
    Just an original soft top... The foam is pretty stiff, and is over the hoops and the windshield frame, holding it up.

I'm not sure rainbow shag would match an OD vehicle, and would be a lot harder to clean. (although, with the way I cut it, you can pull it out to wash it without needing to pull the seats...)

In any case, it made the interior a lot warmer and quieter... For quieter, mostly muffled the higher-pitched sounds. Now the humming of the tires and roar of the engine at >4K freeway rpm are louder than the whine of the tranny and t-case.

I'll pull the door panels off today, and see if I can fit some padding in them... I need to take them apart anyway to fix the windows - they both stick so badly you sometimes need to pull them upwards from the top while turning the crank, especially when it's cold.

--Randy

randy,

i read an article somewhere earlier that said you could swap the hand crank assembly for a power window assembly from a j-truck. Wonder if it has been done successfully or if it is speculation. Not that I would want them, just an option. With my latest m-715 purchase I am concerned with drivability and comfort over military correctness and restoration. Keep up the good work and I really like what you are doing here. I fully plan to copy some of your ideas, so be forewarned. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

How did you hold down the edges of the carpet, where the floor meets the the doorsill?
    -SuPaFrEaK-

I didn't.

I cut the carpet so it fits around the seats, etc, so it can be removed and washed after the inevitable mud layer it'll get... nothing holds it down except the careful cuts around the seats, which keeps it in place.

--Randy

I have Ethans article here with the "how to" on putting in the power locks...its been done and works fine.

I will try to put it up for you all.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!